• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Curiosity: Why did activation increase power consumption?

DrHow0

Lurker
Jan 13, 2015
Believe it or not, I am a newby when it comes to mobile phones. (I have had an Android tablet for over 3 years.)

I recently acquired a 2 or 3 year old HTC Evo 4G. Before activating it, I played around with it using wi-fi. I discovered that, if I put it Airplane Mode with wi-fi and Bluetooth off, the power consumption in Standby mode was very low. I would estimate that it would have continued on a single charge for at least 10 days.

Then I activated it on the Sprint network (using extraordinarily inexpensive service from RingPlus). 3G and 4G are disabled. To my surprise, even in Airplane Mode with wi-fi and Bluetooth off, the power consumption in Standby mode increased substantially. Now it won't even last 3 days. I am wondering why.

If I had to guess, I would imagine that it is now listening, using the receiver even though, in Airplane Mode, it must not use the transmitter or answer a call. But why would it do that?

If anyone can offer some insight, I would appreciate it. Obviously this is just to satisfy my curiosity. I can live with it this way. (I'll just power it down instead of leaving it in Standby mode. I don't plan on using it much.)

Evo - one of the best phones ever - but - you did have to baby it some to get battery life.

Ideally, yes, everything goes dead in airplane mode.

But - the Evo came with a lot of bloatware and liked to talked to Sprint and tell all about itself - all of the time.

So, airplane mode is helping by turning off the radios - but - it's not helping the nonsense processes from waking up and trying to get out on the network - failing - going to sleep, waking up... lather, rinse, repeat. And it seems clear that activation started all of that up for you.

If it gets to be a problem, do what we all did - root and remove the bloatware.

But if you're happy, it ain't broke so don't fix it.

Welcome to the forums, congrats on your new Evo! :)

Here's a little fun from our release days - and man did I have to track this down! :D :D

Upvote 0
**fun fact**--See that hand beckoning the Sprint employee to "gimme gimme gimme"? Yeah, that was EM's hand lol :D

Ah the Evo 4g..still got mine. Don't ever think I'll part with it.

And if you do decide to root it, head on over the root forum for the Evo:
http://androidforums.com/forums/evo-4g-all-things-root.218/

It's still alive somewhat and monitored by a few of us :D

Upvote 0
**fun fact**--See that hand beckoning the Sprint employee to "gimme gimme gimme"? Yeah, that was EM's hand lol :D
LOL - actually, when the phone was in high demand and while I was constantly warned to get on the waiting list - I didn't bother until a day or two before release.

The store employees were pissed as poked hornets that I had the audacity to say I'd be happy to take one in two days (our expected date from the forum megathreads) - and yeah - I did that on purpose.

June 4th, I just got home, they called - they had one left, had started down the list, no answers, so went to the bottom - me.

And I thought about it and I thought about watching TV so I said I'd come in in a few days.

And an hour before they closed on the 6th, it was still there.

I had great Evo karma.

Sorry you had to wait Mike. Man, that must have sucked. I feel bad for you and everything.

:D :p :D

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
If it gets to be a problem, do what we all did - root and remove the bloatware.
I have already rooted it. It still has the standard ROM. Can you point me to a list of the bloatware I need to remove? (Note that I am not buying service from Sprint directly anyway.) I do see an amazingly long list of apps the function of which I cannot fathom. But I can't start deleting them willy nilly because some may actually matter.

I was impressed by the number of responses my little curiosity query elicited. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Jeez - it's been years since I debloated my Evo. I did it by hand and very much the hard way - tracking down every app lol.

Mike and ocnbrze can probably give you the most current advice, mine would be to use a rom that's already debloated.

Here's the thread from our Evo All Things Root forum -

http://androidforums.com/threads/the-list-utilities-apps-roms-kernels-for-the-og-evo.618281/

Check that out, ask there if Mike doesn't have better ideas here.

Hope this helps. :)

Upvote 0
Mike and ocnbrze can probably give you the most current advice, mine would be to use a rom that's already debloated.
I kept browsing around.

I found a list: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=769528&page=1

However, I think I like the advice about a debloated ROM better. What looks best to me at this point is CM7.2, unless someone has a good reason to warn me off of that one. (CM9-supersonic looked promising; but I could not figure out what happened to it. It just seemed to have fizzled out somewhere along the way; but I never found anyone lamenting its passing either.)

Upvote 0
I'll tell you what, (highly recommended rom) try Decks reloaded. CM based, small memory footprint and just plain awesome.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1661605

If you need help, you can always ask here.
As a matter of fact, I just may move this thread into the root forum for the Evo4G. (if that is ok by you:) )

Upvote 0
The Evo had a lot of resources for its day but you can only fit in so much - and Gingerbread (aka CM 7) brings a lot to the table.

I think that the best debloated Sense rom was the CleanROM by scrosler http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1351890 but unfortunately, he's retired the download.

Lots of advantages going with your CM 7.2 plan imo.

Ninja'd by Mike lol!

Upvote 0
The Evo had a lot of resources for its day but you can only fit in so much - and Gingerbread (aka CM 7) brings a lot to the table.

I think that the best debloated Sense rom was the CleanROM by scrosler http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1351890 but unfortunately, he's retired the download.

Lots of advantages going with your CM 7.2 plan imo.

Ninja'd by Mike lol!
Holy Crap! CleanRom?!?!? Amazing I missed that one! I ran CleanRom on my S3. Had I known about it back then, I would have tried it. Nice find! Too bad it's retired. I'd have given it a whirl :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones