• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Curious about PSX4Droid and fpse

John91

Lurker
Mar 30, 2011
Let me say I use a Iphone 3G and have been for two and a half years now. I love emulating games. Such as my PC with PSX, but I use legal copies of my disks. Such as FFT and FF VII.

I am wanting to get a Android Phone, was looking at the Atrix ( I am on AT&T or otherwise I would wait for the Droid Bionicle, but I am on someone elses plan and they want to stay with AT&T). But was wondering, how legal are these two Apps? If I got my PS Bios and my PS games are they legal?

And do they void the warranty? Comparing phones I really, really want to get a Android, Flashplayer and one that I can put a SD card in for extra storage (BattleStar: Galactica Folder haha). But looking at the Marketplace they don't seem to get as many games that I like, Such as FF or Secret of Mana. But being able to play PS games, any PS game would sell me on the Android tomorow.

So can anyone help me? PSX4Droid was removed from the Marketplace I have been reading, most seem to think it is either because it uses a code of another emulator or that Google had it removed because of their PS game launch thing or w/e it is, and that FPSE remains.

So was just wondering, sorry for the long post and thanks for any help or input.

FPse is a very good emulator, MUCH better then PSX4Droid. I'm glad that that last one got removed, because it's really really slow.

All of the emulators on the Android Market are perfectly legal. Most require that you provide your own bios, which you may have if you own the console itself. FPse is an app that doesn't require a bios per se but it runs much better with. As for ROM's, the same thing counts here. Do you own the original game, then it's perfectly legal. Warranty doesn't have anything to do with installing apps, you can install any app on the Market or outside and it can't void your warranty. The only exception is if your phone is rooted, but I don't know if you heard about that yet. It's like jailbreaking on Android, but much much better.

My HTC Desire (yes, it does have gingerbread, so it's a little bit faster then the usual desire) doesn't have the strongest processor on the market, not at all. Still, when using FPse I can play most of my games in full 50-60 fps goodness! On PSX4Droid I used to get perhaps 20 fps and even that would've been rare.

For me the emulators are a major selling point of Android, so the better it is that PSX4droid got removed because it was way to slow. Speaking of that, the Atrix will run any game on 60 fps, because of the dual core processor. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones