• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Curious issue with WiFi stability

I have a rooted Note 3 running 4.4.2. Since I bought the phone, it's WiFi connection has been very troublesome. When it was running previous versions of Android, the connection was pretty unstable, going so far as to actually disconnect from the access point and then reconnect after several seconds much to my chagrin.

Now, after updating to 4.4.3 the connection is a lot more stable, but still sort of "dies" every few minutes, to the point where sometimes Internet radio will pause momentarily, Web pages fail to load and content apps have trouble refreshing. It lasts for anywhere from 5-30s, and the problem has persisted through two factory data resets.

For the time being I have mediated the issue by downloading Android terminal emulator, and continually pinging Google, which keeps the connection alive and working as expected.

Is there anyone else out there who's also encountering this? If so, is there anything I can do outside of my current makeshift solution that doesn't involve replacing the device?

Additional info: Completed 2 resets of handheld, powercycled networking equipment, issue occurs when connected to any WLAN source.

Thanks in advance!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones