• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Cursor Randomly Jumps - G2

Forgive me if this is the wrong forum but...

For some reason when I am texting/emailing both with the physical keyboard and with the on-screen keyboard the cursor will jump to a different spot in the text. It does not happen for every text/email but it happens enough to notice and be frustrating.

For example, I will try and type something like this, "What time will you be home?" but the cursor will jump back randomly and it will end up reading "What ti will you be homeme?"

At first I thought this was the sensitivity of the screen to my fingers when using the on-screen keyboard in that maybe the screen was picking up on my finger hovering and placing the cursor where it thought I wanted it but even when making sure I keep my fingers back this happens.

It also doesnt explain why it happens when I am using the physical keyboard since my fingers are wrapped around the backside of the screen with the only fingers on the front side of the phone being my thumbs which are not close to the screen as they are on the keyboard.

Any insight or ideas would be appreciated.

EDIT:

In searching I have seen similar posts detailing what sounds like similar problems with the Motorola Cliq XT and the Samsung Moment, but no solutions.

Re: Cliq XT Trouble. - T-Mobile Community

Touchscreen/Cursor Issues - Android Forums

They all have this problem I've been through 3 different devices...
http://androidforums.com/t-mobile-g2/211545-track-pad-problems-i-think.html
Its because of the optical trackpad it responds to the light. I first thought it was only in landscape mode but its not. All my 3 replacement devices and my friends G2 does it too. Now, I owned a 9700 for a little while and it as-well has a optical trackpad, however... even though other people report online that their 9700 trackpad does this too, I never noticed it having this problem with mine. So I dont think other phones with trackpads are as bad as the G2's is.

Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure this is a software issue and not hardware. Cursor jumping predictably happens to me a second or so after selecting a text entry box, and after that it's fine. I've adjusted to it by simply waiting for a moment before I start typing, but I hope it gets fixed. Maybe the problem will go away when switching to Cyanogenmod or something?

Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure this is a software issue and not hardware. Cursor jumping predictably happens to me a second or so after selecting a text entry box, and after that it's fine. I've adjusted to it by simply waiting for a moment before I start typing, but I hope it gets fixed. Maybe the problem will go away when switching to Cyanogenmod or something?

Im telling you...with the light on it happens by moving the phone around all day... but as soon as you turn the light off, it wont happen anymore. I promise it will not happen in the dark. Go ahead try it!!!

Reactions: RebelDroid
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones