• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Custom ringtones for contacts reverting to default

Stryker395

Lurker
Oct 17, 2012
I have researched this issue till I'm blue in the face...lol. I have a Samsung Exhibit 2 4G non-rooted. My problem is that whenever I set any custom ringtone for a contact it only plays half the time. The other half it reverts to whatever I have the default tone set to. It's so sporadic that I can't figure out the cause of the problem. I know it's a small issue, but I didn't think it would be this difficult to fix.

So far I've used mp3ringtonemaker and then I switched to ringdroid. I've used zedge because someone said it would create the right folders. Apparently from my countless reading of forums on this issue it has something to do with the path to the files getting confused because the ringtones are stored on the sd card and not in the actual internal memory or root. The problem is that I can't move the files over to the internal memory ringtone folder without rooting because I don't have permission. I'd like to avoid rooting for now if I can.

Every time I think I've fixed it, it will stay that way for maybe a few hours or so and then play the default tone again. I've changed folders around on the sd card and tried many different methods, but nothing seems to work. The files show up as being valid and I can play them so they aren't disappearing, but for whatever reason it seems the phone is confused on which ringtone to play. If there is any workaround to this without rooting I'd really appreciate it. I plan on rooting in the future, but I'm holding out for a few reasons right now.

Apparently there are many topics on this problem, but I've never found a solution that actually works 100%. Thanks for any help.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones