• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Custom ROM, can't update?

schnln01

Lurker
May 18, 2011
Probably a stupid question from someone who is smart phone stupid, but on my Eris it says under system updates that it is a custom ROM and that updates are disabled. The phone was a gift, purchased used on Ebay, so I'm not sure what this means or if it is a bad thing. Is there a way to fix it so it can update if it needs to? Or is it best left alone since I barely know how to use the phone anyway? :eek:

Probably a stupid question from someone who is smart phone stupid, but on my Eris it says under system updates that it is a custom ROM and that updates are disabled. The phone was a gift, purchased used on Ebay, so I'm not sure what this means or if it is a bad thing. Is there a way to fix it so it can update if it needs to? Or is it best left alone since I barely know how to use the phone anyway? :eek:

It is definitely a good thing. What this means is that if HTC and Verizon come out with an over-the-air delivered update to the stock ROM, since you are running a custom ROM you do *not* want the patch to install on your phone. It probably would not install successfully anyway, but...

For a custom ROM, you would generally need to download the full ROM zip file and install it manually. If you are having issues with your phone, yes, there may be a way to fix it. It may help if you say exactly which custom ROM that you have. You may find a name in settings->about phone. It may be under "software information". There should be a name in something that resembles English, rather than a bunch of numbers, somewhere.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones