• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Customising my N7

DeadDude

Android Enthusiast
Jan 16, 2014
Hello ya'll! Dead Dude here to tell you what I've been up to since getting my Nexus 7 2013.

I chose this device with the intention of it replacing my laptop completely. Bought a ChromeCast before I bought this. Read about AllCast, too. USB OTG... and all that jazz.

I waited for two whole months before rooting my device.

Why?

Well, this thing is a beast compared to all other mobiles I've ever owned or used. I wanted to see what officially supported stuff I could do. Turns out, I almost didn't need root. ALMOST.

I have an app for windowed use; it's a Play Store Paid App. Worked great with all the RAM in the N7. Still fc'd randomly.

I was able to get a free, no-root USB drive mounting app. Not quite crisp enough though...

I wanted to tweak my apps... change DPI settings, specifically (why have all those pixels if the letter A is 150 pixels tall?!)

So, after a lot of searching and reading, I bit the bullet and rooted.

Used wugfresh. Wow. This is what all other rooting tools should aspire to be.

I installed TWRP with wugfresh, seemed to be the most supported option in wugfresh (I don't know)

Now that I am rooted, I installed Xposed, bunch of modules, stickmount, and RomToolbox.
XHaloWindows and Floatifications... Gravitybox for Immersive Mode and pie controls.

I haven't removed any apps yet.

I plan on putting more infos here about the steps I took...

Feel free to make suggestions and give feedback! I intend this thread to be somewhat random chatter about all our options!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones