• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Customizable date period reminder app?

Hi guys, I've been trying to locate an app to use as a reminder. I want to be able to set a reminder every 10 days. I take a medication on this schedule long-term, and this will help me keep track of my dose dates. Most that I've found don't have any way to do this, and it's an odd # of days as well. Let me know what works for you in this situation.

Hi guys, I've been trying to locate an app to use as a reminder. I want to be able to set a reminder every 10 days. I take a medication on this schedule long-term, and this will help me keep track of my dose dates. Most that I've found don't have any way to do this, and it's an odd # of days as well. Let me know what works for you in this situation.

Instead of looking for an app, create a reocurring calendar entry in Outlook (if you use it). The calendar app native on the phone doesn't seem to offer a number of days repetitive cycle, but Outlook does. Set the first day and time, add an alarm function and -voila- instant reminder!

If you don't use Outlook ... there might be another calendar app that you could utilize (I've never explored them).

Upvote 0
I don't use Outlook on either the Android or PC. I looked around in the Market apps, but couldn't find anything with the customizable recurring entry feature I wanted. Tried Google Calendar, but that doesn't have it either. At this point, I'm still looking. I used to have something on the PC years ago but can't recall what it was. Very useful. But nobody has considered this for Android (yet).

Upvote 0
I downloaded Astrid today, and tried to create a new task, but cannot find any way to set a custom repeat interval. It only allows normal intervals such as day, week, month etc. Have I missed something here? Not very intuitive at first use, disappointing. Tried going to Astrid.com and signing up, even worse problems....you cannot create a task AT ALL there. Entry box is hosed, only lets you enter one letter, useless. Something wrong with that!

Upvote 0
No, I have free, and I have custom ranges.

To set custom range:

1.)DO NOT add a quick task (do not write anything on space before pressing +), or add a quick task then edit it.

2.)pressing on the "when" field would show you a calendar. You may have to scroll, depending on your screen size or resolution, but above the calendar there are the "no repeat" and "add to calendar"
SC20120123-131816.png

3.)pressing on the "no repeat field" shows you this menu:
SC20120123-131952.png

The number of days launches an editable field (tap the space and you can enter a number, or keep on pressing the + or - icons for number), and then press ok.

EDIT: BTW, sync Astrid to Producteev.com, not Astrid.com. Producteev is much better, and syncs to Outlook as well.

Upvote 0
I finally located the When field. You must tap the screen once, then it comes up. I was able to change the date field after clicking Repeat (changes to No Repeat), only then is it available. Then click Save. You aren't prompted to enter anything else. You must put in a task name or you are stuck here with nothing really saved at all. After I put in a task name and press OK it says task saved, but then it force closes. Repeated several times, always force close crash here. Useless. This developer needs to overhaul the interface badly and fix this bug. Very hard to understand user experience. Waste of 10 mins trying to create 1 task. Not good.

Upvote 0
Odd. Works great for me. I tap the (+) button, then I get the edit screen. I put my task, tap on "when", tap on "no repeats", then I see what I showed on the screen shots, and everything works quick and fast.

I seem to have not caught what phone you are using? Astrid is actually one of the highest rated Task apps in the Market and almost always appears in blogs' regarding "must have apps" or "top apps" for Android, which is why I'm a bit confused as to why its not working fine on you. I configured it to several friend's phones and they love it. Did you move it to SD?

Don't get me wrong here, but it seems difficult to see how an app rated 5 stars by more than 25000 users including me be this buggy on your phone, which is why I am wondering what model you could be using.

Anyway, I think I saw a Producteev app on the market. I should have all the same features as Astrid, since Astrid originated as an Android app built to sync to Producteev.com (before there was an Astrid.com task service), so you may want to check that out.

Upvote 0
I'm using the Samsung Exhibit II 4G. Haven't had any issues with other apps like this. Not sure why it's acting up. I'll uninstall it and try installing to the SD card

It may have to do with your current firmware somehow. If it wasn't working fine when installed direct to the phone, I doubt it would work better from SD. You don't need to uninstall it to move it to the card or to the phone, just go to menu>settings>applications>manage applications>choose the app>select move to phone or move to sd card. If you check there that its on the SD card instead of phone, move it to phone and see what happens. If it just won't work, you may need to try a different app.

Upvote 0
For the time being, it seems to be running OK. Got a notification for an appt I had set. Haven't made any new appt's yet, but I'll see if it accepts them without force closing on me. Have to see whether the install was to the phone memory or SD card, I just let it install to the default download location from the Market. Rare that I get one that behaves that way. Sometimes you just get an app that wants to be cranky for some reason. Hope it's gotten itself sorted out now! Great to know someone like yourself has better experience with it and understands the inner workings and menus.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones