• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Customized ringer for messaging??

kvanduzy

Lurker
Dec 23, 2009
I have loaded some of my own music to use as ringers, and they show up when selecting phone ringers and via contacts to select unique ringers for specific contacts, but they do NOT show up when I am trying to select the ringer to use for SMS messaging. Only the factory ringers show up for SMS. Any idea how to get my side loaded music to work as the SMS ringer??? Help!!! I can't stand the factory ringers. This was so easy to do on my BB Curve and Palm Pixi, so I am baffled why I can't figure it out on my Moment.

I personally use the 'chompSMS' app which allows me to customize my messaging quite extensively. There is also 'Rings Extended', another app which seems to be able to find more ring options. After you download it when you choose 'select ringtone' in 'chompSMS' it will be on the menu for you to find rings with. Rings extended might work in the default SMS but I never tried....

I also found 'Ringdroid'. This app lets you crop songs to your liking and save them as ringtones.

Upvote 0
I did what a couple of you guys already said. I set up the folder media with ringtones, notifications, and alarms and this worked perfectly. But last night i found the app. ringo lite. This app allows you to put certain ringtones for different contacts for calls and text messages. There's a little involved in setting it up but after you get it you'll love it, cause i love it.

Upvote 0
That Ringo looks interesting, still no match for PalmOS mRing....
mRing

That let you not only do individuals, but also groups too. So you could have "work" contacts that had special phone vs SMS rings and you didn't have to manually set each person. Then the person specific ones would over-ride. The groups are derived from the contact's group setting that Outlook/PalmOS has built in. Does Android have groups?

Another great feature is that it has profiles, so you could set your girlfriend to be "VIP" and then when you're on "Silent profile", she can still buzz through, things like that. Things that seem obvious to me I guess... Not sure why Android/3rd party apps are always so short-sighted and limited.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones