• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root CyanogenMod 7 Unofficial Beta 5 02/20/12

I could try that. I'm just a guy who got wrapped up in the Superuser/ROM flashing craze back in late 2010/early 2011, and things had stopped for a while due to health and financial reasons - I got back into it, as the lady in my life had a Boost Prevail that needed... a boost. When we eliminated Wi-Fi (in the country where we live, it is node-bandwidth ADSL - over-priced, and slow), as we're on fixed income, we went to using Barnacle Wi-Fi tether. It was fast enough using Turbo Booster, and it worked until she made a recent 10-day trip to Denver, CO, and upgrading her laptop to Winblows 8.1... after she got back home, and tether wouldn't work - my lady, a Pogo fanatic, has not been happy; me, I've been stressed. Aside from chucking this laptop out the window, any ideas are welcome... LW

Reactions: DaisFlaque
Upvote 0
I could try that. I'm just a guy who got wrapped up in the Superuser/ROM flashing craze back in late 2010/early 2011, and things had stopped for a while due to health and financial reasons - I got back into it, as the lady in my life had a Boost Prevail that needed... a boost. When we eliminated Wi-Fi (in the country where we live, it is node-bandwidth ADSL - over-priced, and slow), as we're on fixed income, we went to using Barnacle Wi-Fi tether. It was fast enough using Turbo Booster, and it worked until she made a recent 10-day trip to Denver, CO, and upgrading her laptop to Winblows 8.1... after she got back home, and tether wouldn't work - my lady, a Pogo fanatic, has not been happy; me, I've been stressed. Aside from chucking this laptop out the window, any ideas are welcome... LW

I hated Windows 8.1. My recommendation would be to put 7 on it.

Reactions: DaisFlaque
Upvote 0
I hated Windows 8.1. My recommendation would be to put 7 on it.

The~Skater~187 - my bro; I'm personally an old-school Mac guy, and loved it through OS 9.3; I've intensely disliked Winblows since its BIOs-derived 3.1; hell, even before that, when you started out of DOS with C:/win; I wish I knew more Unix/Linux, so I could have the love of my life won over with a stable, more powerful/less memory-sucking Linux OS. I'm a 'jack-of-all trades', master of none at 51; it looks like I'm going to have to PM this other fellow, who has given this spaghetti-bender an offer he can't refuse... be well, Skate, and thank you for your ROM, and commiserating words - LW :thumbup:

Upvote 0
The~Skater~187 - my bro; I'm personally an old-school Mac guy, and loved it through OS 9.3; I've intensely disliked Winblows since its BIOs-derived 3.1; hell, even before that, when you started out of DOS with C:/win; I wish I knew more Unix/Linux, so I could have the love of my life won over with a stable, more powerful/less memory-sucking Linux OS. I'm a 'jack-of-all trades', master of none at 51; it looks like I'm going to have to PM this other fellow, who has given this spaghetti-bender an offer he can't refuse... be well, Skate, and thank you for your ROM, and commiserating words - LW :thumbup:

Dual boot it. I would recommend Ubuntu. It's a bit more beginner friendly and easier to navigate. Just make sure you choose to install alongside your current Windows partition. Do you know if your Windows 8 is using uefi or legacy to boot?

There are plenty of how to's on Google and if you need help let me know. I can give you my number and try to help you through any problems. :thumbup:

Upvote 0
Dual boot it. I would recommend Ubuntu. It's a bit more beginner friendly and easier to navigate. Just make sure you choose to install alongside your current Windows partition. Do you know if your Windows 8 is using uefi or legacy to boot?

There are plenty of how to's on Google and if you need help let me know. I can give you my number and try to help you through any problems. :thumbup:

PM me; you're going to have help me to convince my better half (her last OS was XP - it finally died, though it was Microsoft's most reliable OS TO DATE) :screwy:

Upvote 0

Skater -
I went and checked out some stuff in Google re dual boot for Ubuntu and Winblows 8 - and, for some reason, I couldn't get the pages to open - the browsers that I use, NB Browser Pro, as well as the stock Tunny browser, both shut right down. Even when I had Adobe Flash 11 installed in this phone (of course, it was downloaded from Adobe/Macromedia's site) - it still behaved the same way; so, in a fit of pique, I uninstalled the @*#^!! - I'm not sure if the Toshiba C875's boot is eiui or Legacy; BIOs still lives in there, I'm sure. Somehow, I feel that our access to information online is slowly being intercepted, and controlled; since corporations have the same rights as individuals now (thank you, lame-duck 'W'), oh, hell, don't get me started... The Skater187, Lordvincent 90, ocnbrze, EarlyMon the PearlyMon, wetbiker7 - lend a hand, if you can - your Friend in Android, LOveWerks (this was posted using a stylus on a mini 5-row QWERTY keyboard by Klaus Weidner, on a Boost Mobile Samsung Prevail, in Portrait mode) :thumbup:

Upvote 0
Skater -
I went and checked out some stuff in Google re dual boot for Ubuntu and Winblows 8 - and, for some reason, I couldn't get the pages to open - the browsers that I use, NB Browser Pro, as well as the stock Tunny browser, both shut right down. Even when I had Adobe Flash 11 installed in this phone (of course, it was downloaded from Adobe/Macromedia's site) - it still behaved the same way; so, in a fit of pique, I uninstalled the @*#^!! - I'm not sure if the Toshiba C875's boot is eiui or Legacy; BIOs still lives in there, I'm sure. Somehow, I feel that our access to information online is slowly being intercepted, and controlled; since corporations have the same rights as individuals now (thank you, lame-duck 'W'), oh, hell, don't get me started... The Skater187, Lordvincent 90, ocnbrze, EarlyMon the PearlyMon, wetbiker7 - lend a hand, if you can - your Friend in Android, LOveWerks (this was posted using a stylus on a mini 5-row QWERTY keyboard by Klaus Weidner, on a Boost Mobile Samsung Prevail, in Portrait mode) :thumbup:

Sorry LW, I'm not even gonna touch anything having to do with Win8 seeing as I have never personally ran it for any length of time. Only playing around with my friend's computers that have it. I wish I could help but i not dare give advice on Win8. Hopefully one of these other guys who are more familiar with it can help you out. ;)

Upvote 0
Sorry LW, I'm not even gonna touch anything having to do with Win8 seeing as I have never personally ran it for any length of time. Only playing around with my friend's computers that have it. I wish I could help but i not dare give advice on Win8. Hopefully one of these other guys who are more familiar with it can help you out. ;)

Thanks, WB7 - I'm willing to try all of the aforementioned in order to be able to Wi-Fi tether again... being on a limited income is the root of the problem; however, I have some great news - my gig in Raleigh, NC, has yielded a steady gig - first and third weekends are locked in for as long as management and I remain happy (yeah!). I even have a new Strat being delivered Thursday, and my brother just became key grip/best boy on 'The Voice' - I'm going to try, and audition... of course, under my stage name 'LOve'... at 51, these tenor pipes haven't been stronger, and my will hasn't been more determined... thank you for your online friendship, and I better hear about your new gig! :thumbup:

Upvote 0
Toshiba C875-S7105; 4gB RAM, AMD 64 Vision CPU - I've been able to run PreSonus Studio Artist 2 in 64-bit mode, and the 32-bit, 48 kHz audio is stunning; aside from that, Winblows 8 is designed with touch-screen monitors in mind; this one, is not. In the future, I'd max the RAM out; and, maybe, run the studio in Ubuntu, or... whatever I can learn. Thanks, The~Skater~187 :thumbup:

Upvote 0
I went through all of my Nandroid backups, just to live in my ROM collection of 187Honeybread, CM9 3.5.5 Kang, CT-MOD 3.80, MEGATRON 6.2.5 for awhile, to reflect; then, I come back to CM7 Mod, to be able to run my 107 apps, widgets, and live wallpapers yes, I'm home; yet, I uninstalled barnacle2, and sgiggle to see if that may be why I can't Wi-Fi tether; I bought FoxFi Key, and Grasso's tether app (I asked Fabio for help; all he wanted was a screenshot from me, but how do you screenshot something that freezes your phone, then forces it to reboot?)... I guess that I screwed up, and spent money that I could've earmarked for something else; ahh, live and learn, that's all one can do... Lordvincent 90? ocnbrze? EarlyMon? wetbiker7? Lost, at sea... be well, all - LW

Attachments

• 1386809919677.jpg
    1386809919677.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 123
Upvote 0
I went through all of my Nandroid backups, just to live in my ROM collection of 187Honeybread, CM9 3.5.5 Kang, CT-MOD 3.80, MEGATRON 6.2.5 for awhile, to reflect; then, I come back to CM7 Mod, to be able to run my 107 apps, widgets, and live wallpapers yes, I'm home; yet, I uninstalled barnacle2, and sgiggle to see if that may be why I can't Wi-Fi tether; I bought FoxFi Key, and Grasso's tether app (I asked Fabio for help; all he wanted was a screenshot from me, but how do you screenshot something that freezes your phone, then forces it to reboot?)... I guess that I screwed up, and spent money that I could've earmarked for something else; ahh, live and learn, that's all one can do... Lordvincent 90? ocnbrze? EarlyMon? wetbiker7? Lost, at sea... be well, all - LW

Not sure I follow what the question is?:what:

Upvote 0
Not sure I follow what the question is?:what:

I posted to you re Ubuntu - I tried to take this thread back on track to CM7, as I thought it rude of me to take this thread off-topic by the segue into Windows laptops and Ubuntu; I did post back to you re your question about the computer's model and specs, all in hopes of being able to Wi-Fi tether again, by way of an Ubuntu install. PM me if you wish to assist - LW - thanks :thumbup:

Upvote 0
I posted to you re Ubuntu - I tried to take this thread back on track to CM7, as I thought it rude of me to take this thread off-topic by the segue into Windows laptops and Ubuntu; I did post back to you re your question about the computer's model and specs, all in hopes of being able to Wi-Fi tether again, by way of an Ubuntu install. PM me if you wish to assist - LW - thanks :thumbup:

Don't ask me how - but managed to get Wi-Fi tether by flashing CM9 3.5.5 Kang from its original zip; is CM7's tether capability compromised? I could swear that I was able to tether via CM7 when I first tried it out - any ideas? LW

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones