• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root CyanogenMod for Milestone

I want to install it, but I'm not sure if I'm doing it right. This is what I'm gonna do, please tell me if I'm missing a step or doing something wrong:
1 - Flash Vulnerable Recovery SBF
2 - place Open Recovery zip in root, rename to update.zip, boot in recovery mode, apply update.zip
3 - still in recovery mode, select option "Wipe cache / factory reset"
4 - connect to computer, place the cm.zip in /sdcard/OpenRecovery/updates
5 - reboot to recovery mode, apply update.zip again, menu will pop up, there, select apply update.
6 - Reboot, done?

Am I mixing anything up? Forgetting anything? Because I want to be sure I'm doing this right before I start.

Upvote 0
You are supposed to extract the open recovery zip file after which you will get an update.zip file and a folder called openrecovery. You need to place those in your sd card. Now when you apply update.zip it will start the open recovery. Try it and you will know what I mean. Don't worry, it wont make any permanent changes to your phone.

Upvote 0
@Kazuya
I'm using the same config (just flashed yesterday) and when I woke up this morning, my battery was at 70%. I had data transfer disabled though and had my phone set to 2G only. The only thing I had enabled was WiFi and sync but that goes to sleep when the screen is off if I understand it correctly. Further testing is needed with CM6 RC4.

The first time I tried CM6 when it came out the battery drained uber fast for me too but this RC4 seams to do a better job at preserving the charge.

EDIT: After two days without mobile data usage (just occasional WiFi for the market and e-mail sync - very light usage) and the default CM overclock, my battery is at 40%. I'm quite happy with the result. This means I could get a good day out of the battery in normal circumstances (it's the weekend after all and I'm at home in bed with some kind of flu).

Upvote 0
I am wondering whether I should get back to the original ROM. coz I juz bought an Archos 70 and I will switch my phone to tethering quite often. Battery level is one of my greatest concerns now so if the battery drains so fast, I would rather prefer the original ROM for my milestone

as I remember, the original can last one and a half day for normal usage...
but now its only a day (or even less)

lets see if i can reduce the use of battery by different battery consumption management programs. (e.g. Screebl + setCPU + toggle 2G at the moment)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones