• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Sprint] Cyanogenmod update keeps failing

cannon11

Aug 22, 2012
Wisconsin
SO i'm running cyanogenmod 10.2.1, and i'm trying to update to a snapshot of cyanogenmod 11.
I installed 11 onto my computer, dragged it into the downloads folder, made a backup in recovery mode, wiped both caches, went into my downloads folder and clicked on the cyanmod 11 folder, then dragged to flash, but it says failed everytime!
why is it not allowing me to update it?

what recovery are you using bro? Kitkat roms require an up to date version to flash so you maybe need to update that first.
Also when going to a kitkat rom you should do a clean flash meaning factory reset in recovery :thumbup:

I am running twrp, how do I update it?

Also, if I factory reset my phone, won't all my back ups go away too?
I had that happen to me before and everything was gone including my backups when I factory reset it.

Upvote 0
I am running twrp, how do I update it?

Also, if I factory reset my phone, won't all my back ups go away too?
I had that happen to me before and everything was gone including my backups when I factory reset it.

A standard "wipe" in twrp (without changing any of the settings) wont touch the internal sd partition. It mainly just removes apps and their data.
On the main twrp page, hit wipe, in the next screen just do the "swipe to factory reset" thing. Dont hit "advanced wipe" or "format data"
Remember youll have to flash a 4.4 gapps package after flashing cm11 :thumbup:

Reactions: WoohooGuy
Upvote 0
A standard "wipe" in twrp (without changing any of the settings) wont touch the internal sd partition. It mainly just removes apps and their data.
On the main twrp page, hit wipe, in the next screen just do the "swipe to factory reset" thing. Dont hit "advanced wipe" or "format data"
Remember youll have to flash a 4.4 gapps package after flashing cm11 :thumbup:

So i have to lose all of my apps if I want to update? Or can I back them up somehow?

Upvote 0
Yeah. The best way to back them up is with the Titanium Backup app :thumbup:

Is it supposed to be a .img file?
it says
openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.1-toroplus.img
that's the right file then?

So I just download that, flash that file, then reboot recovery, then flash the new kitkat and g apps?

Does the titanium backup files get stored in the restore section of twrp? Or how do I access it? Is it just stored within the app itself? But if it is wouldn't the titanium app get wiped so my backup wouldn't be there anymore when I factory reseted it?
After flashing the new kitkat rom do I go into recovery mode again, then flash my titanium backup to have all my apps and files on the kitkat rom?

Upvote 0
The twrp file should be a .zip man, dont unzip it.
When you do the wipe, the titanium app will get removed but the backup file it makes wont.
Once you flash the new rom and gapps and reboot, just download titanium from Play and use it to restore your apps (menu, batch actions, "restore all apps with data") [dont ever back up or restore system apps] :thumbup:

Reactions: cannon11
Upvote 0
Hey Don. I dont think this guy has had much help in the gnex forums tbh mate so peeps have been helping him here :beer:

I cant seem to find any zip files from that link, only .img
I clicked on get twrp for your device, typed in sprint galaxy nexus, then the only thing for me to really click on on that page is get the latest .img file.

And when I make a titanium backup, should i do the option to "back up all user apps and system data"?

And just to make sure, when wiping in twrp, im doing a factory reset (wipes data and cache) it says. There are no boxes to check or un check

Sorry for so many questions, just had a bad experience where i had to start over everything so i want to be cautious.

Upvote 0
Another problem!

I successfully installed the new twrp 2.6.3.1, but now when I go into recovery mode, I can't find my cm11 or kitkat g apps files! as a matter of fact I cant find 95% of my stuff! there is a few files that I don't understand, but there is nothing in my downloads folder or anything! but when I reboot my phone, I go into root explorer, and I can see everything! So why can't i see my stuff in recovery mode?
can you guys help?

nevermind... i think i fixed it..

Reactions: DonB
Upvote 0
probably you need to re flash. but why not check in settings..about phone.

and how'd you fix your issue? i ran into the same problem with twrp not seeing the zip files. once i got the twrp for kk, i was good, but wondering how you did it.

I wasn't seeing the zip files, so I kept going back to the root of the storage, kept clicking on the "0" which is the root for my galaxy nexus, and somehow when I clicked on the 0 again the files showed up, not sure why they didn't show up the first time, but if you keep going back to the root or the "0" of the storage, it should come up.
Not sure if that helps but I cant really explaining.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones