• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

D.I.Y stylus for desire.

i'm not sure but i dont think you can (however, correct me if im wrong), but there should be little amount of current running through your stylus as our bodies produce some electricity:
Touchscreen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Capacitive
Main article: Capacitive sensing
A capacitive touchscreen panel consists of an insulator such as glass, coated with a transparent conductor such as indium tin oxide (ITO).[7][8] As the human body is also a conductor, touching the surface of the screen results in a distortion of the body's electrostatic field, measurable as a change in capacitance. Different technologies may be used to determine the location of the touch. The location is then sent to the controller for processing

so i dont think it could be done as it should be some kind of trigger mechanism which could activate that current when the screen is touched, however there are styluses on web for capacitive screens as well. so why not just buy it :)

EDIT: so i guess you can :) according to the video above, hehe

Upvote 0
Has anyone made a cheap stylus for a touch screen phone using household items?
it will not work well, the screen is not activated by pinpoint pressure as that from a stylus tip.
I have a few different ones left over from old PDAs, my old HTC touch and Nintendo DS lite, all of them did not give as good results as my finger.

Just keep on practicing, you will get the hang of it. I must admit that i was frustrated the first week after i got my Desire as i felt my fingers were too big.

Upvote 0
it will not work well, the screen is not activated by pinpoint pressure as that from a stylus tip.
I have a few different ones left over from old PDAs, my old HTC touch and Nintendo DS lite, all of them did not give as good results as my finger.

Just keep on practicing, you will get the hang of it. I must admit that i was frustrated the first week after i got my Desire as i felt my fingers were too big.

Its not that my fingers are to large, I just cannot stand smudge marks. I've since found a few very basic home-made styluses but you have to make them with the tip being a flat surface (like the end of a biro pen) and covered in tin foil for conductivity. I wonder if there are any you can buy that can provide a smaller point of contact.

If anyone uses a stylus with any success on the Desire please let me know.

Just viewed the article above about a capacitive stylus seems you need Conductive foam which I don't have at the moment but I will try to find some.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones