• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Data Plan question

hey quick question to everyone, so yes most of us pre-ordered and are still waiting for the golden ticket form ups. but as far as the data plan, is that going to be up and ready for us to use when we get our phones. or do we have to call tmobile and let them know we have received our G1? sorry might be a dumb question but jus tsome info would be cool. thanks guys!:D

Incorrect. You MUST have the G1 feature for the G1 to work as the phone will check over the network to see if you do have the right feature to allow the phone to work. Also it doesn't change anything when you start using it for the first time. Preorders had a free G1 feature on the account that expired on 10/29 which would be in case they got their phones late, on that day any existing SMS or Data feature would be expired and the paid for G1 feature starts. Didn't pre-order? You have to select it at order time or call in the feature when you get the phone to do anything useful with it.

Upvote 0
I am up for a phone upgrade in a few weeks with tmobile and was considering the G1. I have been enjoying the $4.99/mo tzones for my pop3 email (work email is the only one I use, we have a homegrown email solution). In any event, I was wondering if the 3g data plan is required when purchasing the phone and/or will my tzones work with it. I will not be upgrading to a more expensive data plan in any event. I can probably get away with doing what I need in a wifi space so may not even need the tzones. Is it possible to compose email off line and have is sent/received automatically when returning to a connection (wifi)?

Upvote 0
I am up for a phone upgrade in a few weeks with tmobile and was considering the G1. I have been enjoying the $4.99/mo tzones for my pop3 email (work email is the only one I use, we have a homegrown email solution). In any event, I was wondering if the 3g data plan is required when purchasing the phone and/or will my tzones work with it. I will not be upgrading to a more expensive data plan in any event. I can probably get away with doing what I need in a wifi space so may not even need the tzones. Is it possible to compose email off line and have is sent/received automatically when returning to a connection (wifi)?

From what I understand, Tmobile will not even sell the phone with out a G1 data plan...the lowest costing $24.99/month...

Upvote 0
This is conflicting news based on conversations with Tmo store reps and others who are using the device without a plan as a second device (many do this if their companies are on a specific network or supply other devices). I just want to confirm before I go that route. I'm not too worried about geting my hands on one..the last three phones I had were all purchased outside of tmo. Just would want to use the tmo upgrade if I can.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones