• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Data usage by application

godster

Lurker
Sep 21, 2009
Hi guys.

Having inadvetently deleted my orange account bookmark (any help restoring this or sending me the link would be appreciated) I managed to go over my allowance this month!

I managed to find the 3G Watchdog (is there anything better?) app to monitor daily usage and seem to be clocking up a fair ammount even when i'm not using the phone.

Is there an app on the market that would allow we to work out which widgets/applications are using up data?

Many thanks.

Having inadvetently deleted my orange account bookmark (any help restoring this or sending me the link would be appreciated) I managed to go over my allowance this month!

orange.co.uk/youraccount

Is there an app on the market that would allow we to work out which widgets/applications are using up data?

Use Taskiller, it's free and you will see what tasks are running then you can go from there.

Upvote 0
Hmm ok, well you can still login into your account from orange/myaccount and save it to your bookmarks, maybe sombody else can help. I did have that also but deleted it.

Taskiller is a great App to have though as you will see what you have running in the background, you will be surprised.

NetCounter should be what you are after, if not just browse the market.

Upvote 0
Ash thanks a million, that link was exactly what I was looking for. Not sure I like what I see mind you, my data usage this month is increadibly high!

I'm certain i have applications running that are sucking data in the background. I've tried both Task Killer and Net Meter now, neither of which will tell me what application is using up my data.

I am currently using a facebook widget, peep and twidget...these could be the culprits, but no way of finding out.

Anyone?

Upvote 0
The exact link from my bookmarks is http://orangeworld.co.uk/r/embedyouraccount/ - try that.

Online widgets will use a lot, check how often you have them set to refresh. And if the phone's going to be in your pocket for a few hours (work etc), turn the mobile network off. You'll save battery, too.

The biggest culprit I've found for data usage is e-mail, though your end culprit maybe different.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones