• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps DDMS cannot find ADB

automagrt

Jul 19, 2010
I hope this is the right forum for this. I am trying to fix the WiFi on my Samsung Captivate. This thread here tells how to do it. Unfortunately when I run DDMS I get the error "Failed to get the adb version: Cannot run program "adb": CreateProcess error=2, The system cannot find the file specified." I have tried installing the SDK on both a Windows 7 64-bit and XP 32-bit machine. I get the same error on both machines. I have tried both the generic Galaxy S drivers and the Captivate drivers. Any suggestions? Here are the instructions I've followed in case you don't want to read the other thread:
1. Install the SDK -> Android SDK | Android Developers

(make sure the <SDK>/tools path is added to the windows path variable. My Computer -> Properties -> Advanced -> Environment Variables -> System variable -> add the SDK path at the end of Path variable )

2. On your phone, please enable (tick mark) "USB debugging" under "Settings" -> "Applications" -> "Development"

3. Connect your phone using USB to PC/Laptop. Close phone manager application if it comes up on the PC.

4. Run "ddms.bat" from <SDK>/tools directory. The DDMS application will come up and it should readily connect to your phone. (in the main screen, under Name, you should find the phone ID and SW ver. no.)

5. Go to menu Device -> File Explorer. New window will come up.

6. Here go to data -> wifi directory. You will see a file bcm_supp.conf.

7. Though it is not possible to read this file, you should be able to delete it. (at least I could delete it). You can delete the file by selecting it and then pressing red "-" on top left of the window.

Thanks!

Well, soon after posting this I realize where the problem is. The Path should have the platform-tools directory instead of the tools directory because that's where adb is located. I corrected that and it loaded right up. Unfortunately, when I click on the + sign for the Data folder it doesn't show me anything :( I'm assuming my phone has to be rooted to see it and I really don't want to do that. Guess I'm going to have to do a factory reset after all.

Upvote 0
I have been at this for about a hour now, I am curious how the heck do I fix this problem exactly? I do not know what post #3 means and if someone could elaborate would be highly appreciated. I am getting frustrated because every solution I find is telling short answers and not really telling you how to fix it, lol and that is what frustrates me. I am stuck and I want to be able to move on and I can't. Grr! lol

How exactly do I fix this issue???

Update: Nevermind, I ended up finding another post to help me. The files that ddms was trying to call were missing and needed to be moved from the folder they were placed in, into the correct folder. lol I'm going to bed now, because it seems I'm having one problem after another with setting my PC up with stuff. lol

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones