Deactivated DX, can I use as GPS only?

1. twister6

twister6 Guides Guide

Hey guys, finally after 2.5 years I said goodbye to my DX and moved on to Galaxy Note 2.

DX was deactivated, so I was hoping to use it as GPS Nav only in my car. I turned Standalone GPS on, went into Google Navigation, selected recent destinations and... it was stuck in Waiting for Location forever searching for GPS. Am I missing something? One thing to note, I did remove my microSD to move over to GN2, but i believe all the Nav stuff was in main memory anyway. Any idea how to get it to work as GPS? Thanks!!!

Advertisement
    :
  2. Thom

Thom Premium Guide Member Guide

I have a deactivated Droid X and tried this out for you ...

Simply put ... Navigation needs Internet access.

If you enable Wi-Fi and GPS and give it an address it will work.

If you disable Wi-Fi it will not even start to work.

Yes I realize this is fairly useless in your car.

... Thom
  3. bigbadwulff

bigbadwulff Well-Known Member

You may have a combination of problems. See my 'GPS fix' in the tips section BUT if you use it in a car, you have to have data connection to fill in the route as you go. 3G or 4G is the best. WiFi....not so much.

I wonder if you can tether to another phone though?
    Thom likes this.
  4. twister6

twister6 Guides Guide

Thanks for replies! I was hoping it would work as standalone GPS unit. Obviously I don't have 3G activated with it, and it makes no sense to tether it to my Note 2 while I can use it as GPS itself.

I just remember there was some kind of a off-line mode where you download maps to use it "off line" which I assume was without data connection.
  5. Thom

Thom Premium Guide Member Guide

Interesting idea. I ran it successfully ... deactivated Droid X ... Wi-Fi connection ... Droid Bionic hotspot ... 3G ...

There are two questions of course ...

1. If he had the other device why not just run Navigation and GPS on it?
    2. Mobile hotspot "eats battery" ... how to keep it charged?

... Thom
  6. bigbadwulff

bigbadwulff Well-Known Member

The tether idea wasn't so much as an ideal idea as much as an option.
  7. Spz0

Spz0 Well-Known Member Developer

Post removed
  8. darrells

darrells Member

Try Navfree from Google play. All of the maps are downloaded so you don't need web access, only GPS. So it works like a standalone GPS unit.