• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Dear AT&T

But they can require a new plan for a new phone, I.e. iP4, iP5, android smartphones, etc.

So in short, your wrong, it happens every day.

And in fact, it is not unlawful to charge new rates. Once that service contract is over, they can legally charge you $999999999.99+ a month for data should they choose to, with proper notice being given. Once your off contract, they can indeed fluctuate rates at will, and there is nothing illegal about it.

-just because they don't do it, doesn't mean they can't. And something tells me with att's poor backhaul and network woes in general due to lack of investment, my belief is they will aggresively pursue this new bandwidth cap.

Tapatalk. Samsung Moment. Yep.

I don't remember talking about a change in device, sim card ect. That obviously might definitely cause a required feature change per the prerequisites of that changed phone/sim. Obviously our communication breakdown is in the specifics of the situation. Without TOBR, relocation, IMEi change, change in SIM, or voluntary cancellation of features or service, there would be no required change of grandfathered features, period. Also, if the contract period was over, no feature change would even be required (internal case should be submitted if done either way per at&t's "customer rules"). The point is no one should worry at all about losing their unlimited data plans, if you don't plan on doing any of the above or proactively change it.

Upvote 0
But they can require a new plan for a new phone, I.e. iP4, iP5, android smartphones, etc.

So in short, your wrong, it happens every day.

And in fac

I don't remember talking about a change in device, sim card ect. That obviously might definitely cause a required feature change per the prerequisites of that changed phone/sim. Obviously our communication breakdown is in the specifics of the situation. Without TOBR, relocation, IMEi change, change in SIM, or voluntary cancellation of features or service, there would be no required change of grandfathered features, period. Also, if the contract period was over, no feature change would even be required (internal case should be submitted if done either way per at&t's "customer rules"). The point is no one should worry at all about losing their unlimited data plans, if you don't plan on doing any of the above or proactively change it.

So as long as you keep your same phone, sim, etc, your all good. So better make sure the phone you buy will last your entire lifetime, and make sure it doesn't break!

Still, not really 100% safe att can change their minds on that too, but unlikely at this point. However, saying it is unlawful iis still misleading.

Upvote 0

The real question is how long they will keep grandfathering people with unlimited data when you get a new phone. My guess is they will stop at the end of the year.

There is where changing a phone was mentioned. And yes if you do not upgrade you are safe but as I said I suspect with this one starting the end of the year they will start killing off the unlimited data when you get a new phone.

Upvote 0
I've had my phone since the 4th and I've used 4.8GB. Most of it is watching the World Cup and streaming Pandora and Podcast at work. No Wifi at work. Also, I've used 600MB on Wifi.

Currently using NetCounter to track how much data I've used.

i'm wondering how you've been streaming world cup to your phone. :eek:

every site i have tried isnt working, running rooted 2.2 droid with flash, been wanting to check in and see the games from my desk on my phone but havent been able to get anything to work. :(

Upvote 0
Verizon's service agreement gives them the ability to change your contract at will. The only stipulation, which is required by law, is that you have to have a 30 day window before the change goes into affect, and you have the option to cancel service without penalty in that time frame.

They exercised this recently when they made all 3G phones that didn't fall in the smartphone category require a $9.99 data plan for 25 MB of data and unlimited email through the phones client(not sure about the email).

I don't know if AT&T has anything similar, but it would be stupid of them not to have that power.

Upvote 0
Verizon's service agreement gives them the ability to change your contract at will. The only stipulation, which is required by law, is that you have to have a 30 day window before the change goes into affect, and you have the option to cancel service without penalty in that time frame.

They exercised this recently when they made all 3G phones that didn't fall in the smartphone category require a $9.99 data plan for 25 MB of data and unlimited email through the phones client(not sure about the email).

I don't know if AT&T has anything similar, but it would be stupid of them not to have that power.

Wow $10 mandatory fee for any phone that has 3G... insane.

Upvote 0
Yup, and some of the people with the Evo complain about their $10 fee. ;)

I know :p.

By the way, this is from the AT&T service agreement.

CHANGES TO TERMS AND RATES
We may change any terms, conditions, rates, fees, expenses, or charges regarding your service at any time. We will provide you with notice of such changes (other than changes to governmental fees, proportional charges for governmental mandates, roaming rates or administrative charges) either in your monthly bill or separately. You understand and agree that State and Federal Universal Service Fees and other governmentally imposed fees, whether or not assessed directly upon you, may be increased based upon the government's or our calculations. IF WE INCREASE THE PRICE OF ANY OF THE SERVICES TO WHICH YOU SUBSCRIBE, BEYOND THE LIMITS SET FORTH IN YOUR RATE PLAN BROCHURE, OR IF WE MATERIALLY DECREASE THE GEOGRAPHICAL AREA IN WHICH YOUR AIRTIME RATE APPLIES (OTHER THAN A TEMPORARY DECREASE FOR REPAIRS OR MAINTENANCE), WE WILL DISCLOSE THE CHANGE AT LEAST ONE BILLING CYCLE IN ADVANCE (EITHER THROUGH A NOTICE WITH YOUR BILL, A TEXT MESSAGE TO YOUR DEVICE, OR OTHERWISE), AND YOU MAY TERMINATE THIS AGREEMENT WITHOUT PAYING AN EARLY TERMINATION FEE OR RETURNING OR PAYING FOR ANY PROMOTIONAL ITEMS, PROVIDED YOUR NOTICE OF TERMINATION IS DELIVERED TO US WITHIN THIRTY (30) DAYS AFTER THE FIRST BILL REFLECTING THE CHANGE. If you lose your eligibility for a particular rate plan, we may change your rate plan to one for which you qualify.

Upvote 0
Wow $10 mandatory fee for any phone that has 3G... insane.

That was the moment I decided to let my Verizon contract expire and figured I would at least get something for my money... and ended up with an Evo

Verizon plans are insanely expensive IMO

Agreed. If you live in a well covered Sprint area, there's no reason not to be on Sprint IMO.

Upvote 0
Agreed. If you live in a well covered Sprint area, there's no reason not to be on Sprint IMO.

Hence why I am switching. I also live in a 4G market, so that makes it easier as well. :)

Oddly this is one of the few reasons I still enjoy being in chicago. A nice healthy blanket of 4G

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones