• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Decent email client with minimal permissions?

tenchy

Jan 9, 2012
UK
The stock email client on the S5 refuses to delete emails and always pulls them back down again.

Is there a decent alternative that has minimal permissions? I don't need it importing information from my phone contacts, I'll deal with contacts.
I just want it to sync, and if I delete emails mobile, actually delete them.
Also show images in the emails. I only want to sync one non Gmail account.

As an aside, the 3rd party apps for emails, are they able to harvest my email login details, as you have to enter them obviously.

The stock email client on the S5 refuses to delete emails and always pulls them back down again.

Is there a decent alternative that has minimal permissions? I don't need it importing information from my phone contacts, I'll deal with contacts.

As an aside, the 3rd party apps for emails, are they able to harvest my email login details, as you have to enter them obviously.

For an actual decent alternative to the stock email app, you might want to try Aqua Mail - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.kman.AquaMail

It should meet the requirements that your looking for.

Reactions: Crashdamage
Upvote 0
I tried a couple of the ones mentioned above and my choice was yet another alternative.

Blue Mail. This email app is very good, works just like I am using my desktop PC. It shows all of my Yahoo sub-folders and all of my old archived emails.

It allows me to mark a message as Spam, and I can also look into the Spam folder for something that I think got trapped by Yahoo "as spam".

Give it a try, I think it should satisfy you very well.

* Blue Mail - Email App - Android Apps on Google Play

Reactions: tenchy
Upvote 0

Mailbox works really well for me. Interface is great!

Upvote 0
Thanks all for the replies. I have tried k9 and mymail, and looked at the others.
I have also tried blue mail, and currently that is looking like the dog's danglies.

How does this push and fetch work?
Googling it got me iFan results, but says push is better as the server notifies the phone when email arrives, rather than the phone checking periodically with fetch.
Is that so?
If so, why doesn't that (push) always work with every email app? Am I missing something?

Upvote 0
I approach the push world differently than most folks. "I hate it" and refuse to allow notifications period. (text messages excepted)

I also turn the internet OFF when my screen is locked making the phone idle until I decide to use the phone.

When I pick up the phone and unlock the screen, MacroDroid turns on the internet for me and I can open BlueMail and 3 seconds later it has downloaded all of the email headers for me to look at. I will not allow it to download the body of emails until after I look at the headers. There is so much junk pushed at us, I delete half of that is there before I even read it.

BlueMail lets me delete emails w/o reading them if I don't like the header line.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones