• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Decisions, Decisions

joe71

Android Expert
Jan 14, 2011
Nevada
Okay once again I need to get another device:mad:. So I have five devices I am looking at.
The Moto 5 G stylus 5G (2022)
The Motorola edge +(2022)
Samsung Z fold 3
Samsung S 21 ultra
Pixel 6 pro.
I know I want something with a stylus or stylus compatible. I know some of you will ask what about the S 22 ultra:thinking:
Can't get ito_O:oops:
Well technically I could but I would run a foul of the wife;):oops: the note has always been her thing. When she went to upgrade from her note 8 to the S 22 ultra (T mobile Carrier) she was told she would have to deposit $500 and then make the monthly payment's. We had the $500 and probably could have bought the device out right.
However my wife wasn't willing to drop $1,200 or $500 so she went with the S 21 (I think they had a deal on it ).
So back to the list.
The Moto 5 G stylus. Has the stylus, headphone jack, nice size screen:D and I like the price . Those are the pros
Cons. It will get one more system update and then bi monthly security patches for two years (??)
Moto edge +
Last year when I was looking at a replacement for the pixel 3 it came down to the pixel 5 or the Moto edge+
I went with the pixel 5 because of the support. Other than that I thought the pixel 5 was a joke (it was)
Personally I thought the 2020 Motorola edge + had the best screen display. It beat out the iphone, the note 20, S 20.
The edge is guaranteed two system updates and I think two or three years of bi monthly security patches.
The Z fold 3 . I have checked out this device several times. The pros it's going to be supported for 3-4 years. You have a phone that turns into a tablet. It's stylus compatible,
I like the displays.
Cons. The price, weight, daughter, work, cases. First the price $50 per month :oops:, I have watched several review videos on it and everyone mentioned the weight and how most car phone holders can't handle the phone weight.
Truck stops sell phone/tablet mounts that could hold it.
My biggest concern is drops. I have drop my phone several times when getting out of the truck, I think my seat sits 5 or 6 feet above the ground.
I intend to use heavy duty cases because of this. So far I haven't found a case I like. The cases offer seem like they would come off on first impact.
At first the Z fold was my first choice but then I started thinking about drops, the price, weight, leaving the phone some where .
The S 21 ultra. Pros stylus compatible, support for 3-4 years. I really haven't seen or read a bad review on the phone
Cons it's last year's model.
I think I would like something that came out in the last two to six months.
Finally the pixel 6 pro. Okay it seems after the mid range jokes of the pixel 3 and 5 that Google is trying to get back into the flagship game.
However after owning two pixel devices that barely lasted a year
The pixel 6 pro is barely a consideration.

Reactions: ocnbrze
I'm not sure what you do to Pixels: my Pixel 2 lasted more than 4 years, and it was only the failing battery that forced me to change. My wife's Pixel 5 performs like it did on day 1.

Anyway, these aren't really my style of device, but as I have a regular size s21 I'll note that Samsung are saying that they'll offer up to 4 years of software support for the s21 range, including major version updates, which means that it still has as long a support lifetime remaining as the 2022 Edge+, as well as beating the G Stylus on both support lifetime and processing power (the G Stylus uses a Mediatek Helio G88, which is a budget-to-midrange SoC from 2021. If you don't want a midrange phone you probably should cross this one off).

Upvote 0
I have the z fold 3 and I love it. My phone mount in my car works really well with the z fold 3. the Spigen Thin Fit P is a great case because it has the best s- pen holder that I have found. It's really sturdy and they have adhesives that makes the case stay on the phone. My phone has survived numerous falls because of the case. I have both Samsung protection and Geek Squad so I feel confident in handling my phone at work or when I'm out and about.

I have 0 regrets getting this phone. It's truly an amazing piece of technology.

Upvote 0
I have zero regrets of owning my Moto Edge plus, it runs pretty amazing, and the drops can handle it, my cousin in law, accidently dropped my cell from around five feet in the air, I picked it up and it is unscratched from my powerful new phone case, millitary grade et all around it, even with the default one I had with my other one - lasted up to a few years ! On that one, easy one of the best marketed, the battery does last me around a few days - no dropped calls or text either, highly customized able, and the sound it is amazing over all! (Still bought it around flagship time too. Still the price these days is....Well just found these coupons :

https://envirogadget.com/motorola-edge-plus

I had no real issues with it, except for the gltichy screen lately, but over all a well rounded machine through and through.

Reactions: joe71 and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
The first phone to be eliminated was the pixel six pro. Okay to be honest it was never really a contender. I saw it in a Verizon store and I was like :oops:o_O. Considering that the pixel 3 and 5 barely lasted over a year has sour my opinion on Google phones.
Personally I think Google phones are an after thought. I think once a year they throw something together, have a fancy launch and toss their fan boys and girls a bone.
The pixel 5 wasn't even a flagship device.
Second phone.
The S21 ultra. Watch plenty of reviews, I like it was stylus supported, was going to be supported for a few years. However it was last year's model I am always buying last year's model or it's been out six months. So the S 21 ultra was eliminated :(
Third phone to be eliminated:oops:
The Samsung Z fold 3.
Okay this one was a tough elimination. I really liked the transformation from phone to tablet. I like that it was stylus compatible. Soft ware and security supported for four years:thinking:. I seriously consider it for the tablet feature. It would have been very useful for work. the first reason it was eliminated was the price, I had to ask myself if I really needed a nearly $2,000 cellphone/tablet
The answer was no.
Second reason Drops:oops::thumbsdowndroid:. Eventually I would it one too many times getting in and out of the truck and something gets screwed up.
Third reason it was just a tad bit two bulky and heavy. For the record it was actually my #1 choice originally.
And a fourth reason, I didn't think it was right for me to have a more expensive and fancier device than the wife.

Reactions: Milo Williamson
Upvote 0
So it came down to the Motorola edge plus (2022) vs the Motorola G Stylus 5G
(2022) and the winner is....:thinking:
With the moto edge plus, you can see a light for your notifications, and with that in mind with the durablity of drops, you can possibly be alright with just the right amount of shock resistance case like I just got mine not a spell ago..

Upvote 0
I decided to go with the moto G stylus 5G. For what and what the stylus and edge plus are very similar, in screen size, battery. I really couldn't see a lot of different in the two. Yes if you want to get technical there are definitely differences.
My main reason for the stylus was it came with a stylus. With the edge plus it was an extra $80 for a stylus and case set.
My second reason was the price. I figure better to spend $400 on something I may or may not like, than $900. So far I like the stylus.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220615-150916-986.png
    Screenshot_20220615-150916-986.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 69
Reactions: Bearsyzf
Upvote 0
I decided to go with the moto G stylus 5G. For what and what the stylus and edge plus are very similar, in screen size, battery. I really couldn't see a lot of different in the two. Yes if you want to get technical there are definitely differences.
My main reason for the stylus was it came with a stylus. With the edge plus it was an extra $80 for a stylus and case set.
My second reason was the price. I figure better to spend $400 on something I may or may not like, than $900. So far I like the stylus.
The stylus that did come with mine, only lasted a few days :( The rubber part kept falling part :( such a tiny little thing too. I was not too happy with the case after only lasting a few years though... :( Rubber..

Reactions: joe71
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones