• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Decrypt SD Card Data on Same Device After Hard Reset

M_MafazRao

Lurker
Oct 20, 2020
Hi everyone!
I'm new to this forum and not an expert. Got a serious problem and need advice

So, I made a hard reset on my Samsung A30 and forgot that I had encrypted my SD card previously. I had backed up all my stuff on laptop via SmartSwitch (but I don't know whether such encryption keys are backed up, if yes then I don't know where).
I shifted my backup to an external drive and had to manually change the directory of SmartSwitch for restoration of my data.
Now I inserted the card back into the slot, but it doesn't load any data. Even the music files don't play. Their formats appear the same (or so I assume). I tried shifting the music files to my laptop hoping atleast they would work and tried playing them using another palyer, but still no luck. I DON'T know what else to do
Can I decrypt it in any way? Its the same effin device.

It's the same device, but it almost certainly doesn't have the encryption keys any more after the reset. Does the system menu offer the option to decrypt the card, and if so what happens if you try?

I found a stackexchange post where someone says that they were able to read the data after a process of "back up encrypted data to computer, format card, encrypt card, restore backed-up encrypted data to card, decrypt card". But a big health warning with this: that's a four year old post, and on many devices the way encryption keys are generated/stored/erased has become more secure since then, so the fact that that process worked for someone in 2016 is no guarantee that it will work for you now.

Another post here that I'm also unsure about, though I think that the reason the original poster wasn't able to attempt it was possibly because they'd need root for that anyway.

Upvote 0
Nah. It doesn't offer any option to decrypt.

It says:
'This SD Card cannot be decrypted because it was encrypted on another device. .....'

Okay, so I read both the links you shared.
The former one sounds logical tho its old and you're probably right about the advanced encryption techniques which is why i'll make a copy of the sd card first.
Not trying the latter one because it needs root.

I will follow the sequence and then let's see. I'll update you. Thanks

Upvote 0
Nah. It doesn't offer any option to decrypt.

It says:
'This SD Card cannot be decrypted because it was encrypted on another device. .....'

Okay, so I read both the links you shared.
The former one sounds logical tho its old and you're probably right about the advanced encryption techniques which is why i'll make a copy of the sd card first.
Not trying the latter one because it needs root.

I will follow the sequence and then let's see. I'll update you. Thanks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones