Default keyboard vs Swype vs ShapewriterGeneral

Last Updated:

1. MKAH

MKAH Member This Topic's Starter

I have installed Swype beta and Shapewriter. After installing, form the home screen I press menu, settings, language & keyboard and click either swype or shape-writer.

However, when I use an application like G mail, or the web browser, the droid default keyboard is displayed rather the swype or shape-writer.

Any suggestions on where I need to adjust settings so that the default keyboard is either swype or shape-writer?

I have used swype in the past and it worked great, unitil the beta expired. I just downloaded the new beta from the swype.com site. Just can't make it the default though.

Thanks

Mark

Advertisement
  2. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

Long press on any field where you could enter text. From the pop-up select 'input method'. From there select the keyboard you want to use as the default.

3. Cajun83

Cajun83 Well-Known Member

This. :D

4. Renko

Renko Active Member

Also thought I would mention SlideIT, which is a replacement keyboard similar to Swype and is available on the market as a free trial and a paid app. I actually prefer SlideIT to Swype (and the fact that I don't have to jump through stupid beta signup hoops to get the .apk file...) Works on all Android versions, give it a shot.
    Here's a demonstration of it in action: YouTube - SlideIT for Android

5. MKAH

Thank, you very much....that was it.

6. mc48

mc48 Well-Known Member

that does look nice. Might have to try it when my swype beta expires again. I am also getting a bit fed up with that. I mean put it out there, charge ppl for it if you want and then update it as needed. Stop jerking us around. But that is what happens when developers and companies draw these things out.....other developers and companies take advantage of your hesitation and put something out that that basically does the same thing and is basically just as good.

7. MKAH

Renko,

I will do that. Your video was great.

8. Peter123

Peter123 Well-Known Member

I am using both Swype and SlideIT. SlideIT has a number of other languages too and that is a big plus for me.

BTW what is the difference between the paid version of SlideOT and the free SlideIT Lite?
    Peter