• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Definitive guide to setting SMS tones!

Newbie here - just found this forum, and have a million and one questions about my Xperia X10 that I am getting increasingly frustrated with. Hope you can help. :)

1st off - And I apologise if this is answered properly elsewhere, but I can't find a satisfactory answer! How the hell can I choose what SMS tone is used for each individual contact; and how can I set it to silent for some contacts?? Please - is there a definitive guide anywhere??

One would expect to go into Phonebook, select the contact, press Edit, and have an option for SMS tone - but no!!

Ideally, I would like to set the SMS tone to silent for most contacts - so I got "Tone Picker". But even using Tone Picker, Set Notifications, Complete action using Tone picker, select Silent - DOES NOT WORK!!! I still get the notification tone on all texts! And Tone picker doesn't allow me to set the SMS tone per contact anyway!!

Any help would be most appreciated! :):) I'm determined to set this phone up as I would like it!

You could try ringdroid that has an option to set one for an individual contact.
To get silent for all of the other contacts you could use a chunk of silence in a track for your main notification (ringdroid lets you cut out sections of tracks) so it'll actually play the notification but there's no sound to play. Then use whatever else for your specific contact.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones