• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Deleting a Google Backup?

Can't seem to find an answer to this. I had to get a replacement Droid (1st one had a very loose screen) and really wanted to have a fresh start with the new phone - no apps, etc. Since I had the backup thing checked on the 1st phone, the 2nd phone reloaded all the apps from the 1st phone. I've tried the various resets (with backup turned off), but nothing gets me back to a blank, clean phone.

Keep in mind that I'm not talking about the Contacts or Gmail being pulled in (that's fine) - I just don't want the apps & settings from the 1st phone. Uninstalling the apps doesn't quite get me to a clean install. Anyone know of a way to delete/turn off that backup that's sitting in the Google cloud?

Can't seem to find an answer to this. I had to get a replacement Droid (1st one had a very loose screen) and really wanted to have a fresh start with the new phone - no apps, etc. Since I had the backup thing checked on the 1st phone, the 2nd phone reloaded all the apps from the 1st phone. I've tried the various resets (with backup turned off), but nothing gets me back to a blank, clean phone.

Keep in mind that I'm not talking about the Contacts or Gmail being pulled in (that's fine) - I just don't want the apps & settings from the 1st phone. Uninstalling the apps doesn't quite get me to a clean install. Anyone know of a way to delete/turn off that backup that's sitting in the Google cloud?

maybe uninstall all apps and everything then hard reset?

Upvote 0
There are some "Synch/search with Gmail/Google" settings you could disable prior to the flash. That may help. There are also some sections under "Settings" where you can "Clear cache" or "Clear history" that may help. I would just flash the device, and at startup, not enter Gmail acct. info, create a new gmail account, and have it synch the clean image with it.

Upvote 0
There are some "Synch/search with Gmail/Google" settings you could disable prior to the flash. That may help. There are also some sections under "Settings" where you can "Clear cache" or "Clear history" that may help. I would just flash the device, and at startup, not enter Gmail acct. info, create a new gmail account, and have it synch the clean image with it.

That didn't seem to do anything - and I'd greatly prefer to keep the Gmail account.

Upvote 0
Did you ever figure out how to do this? I too want to get a fresh start. I want to keep my gmail and contacts, but do not want to restore all the apps and settings. When mine restores that shit, its starts to reboot and will not work. Its some of the apps and stuff I did to the phone. I just want to start fresh.

Upvote 0
my guess will literally be uninstalling every app you have.

wait for google to sync that you do not have any more apps (i don't know how long this would be, but if you leave sync on all the time, then i guess a hour. but to be safe you could just wait overnight)

after that, do a hard reset.

Upvote 0
Figured I'd post this here since this is like the #2 result on Google for deleting backups. My apologies for bumping up an old thread, but I finally found this and wanted to share it for anyone else looking for the solution.

There is a way to easily delete the backups.

1. Go to Settings > Privacy
2. Check "Back up my data" if it isn't already
3. Uncheck "Automatic restore"
4. Uncheck "Back up my data"
5. A pop up will appear:
DeleteBackup.jpg

6. I think you know where this is going... Hit OK. Pow, no more data.

Tested on 2.2 Droid X, lemme know whether or not it works with earlier versions.

Reactions: bamaredwingsfan
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones