• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Deleting Apps After Changing Provider Galaxy SMG900V 6.0.1

XRoadwarrior

Lurker
Sep 27, 2012
Hello! I changed from Verizon to Straight Talk with the Bring Your Own Phone service. It is draining the battery very fast as I believe that it's still looking for Verizon service and so are the native apps. I'd also like to get rid of the splash screen and in general get a few more years of use out of it but the battery issue is a big one. :D

1.) Is it reasonably possible to root?
2.) Any other way of deleting unwanted native apps?
3.) I'm a computer tech so I know enough to get me in trouble.

Specs:
Networs still says "Verizon"
Set on LTE Mobile Nx Type
Mobile Nx State: Disconnected
PRL Ver. 15478
ERI: 5
Kernal: 3.4.0
Build: MMB29M.G900VVRU2DPF4

I am afraid that it is not possible to alter your carrier minority variant of Galaxy S5 for Verizon, model G900V, on Marshmallow, by rooting or flashing an alternative firmware. See #1.6 of 42 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide

It, "may", be possible, in theory, to downgrade back to Lollipop and attempt to root your phone as per NEW Verizon S5 Root for latest firmwares OE1, OG5, OK3, PB1. I have not personally attempted this.

Alternatively, you could install Package Disabler Pro (Samsung), from the Play Store and attempt to disable some carrier apps using it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones