• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Desire age demographic

How old are you?

• 20 or below

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • 21-30

Votes: 87 35.7%
  • 31-40

Votes: 77 31.6%
  • 41-50

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • 50+

Votes: 20 8.2%

• Total voters
Good thread! I'm 41 and recently sent my Desire back largely due to the hopeless battery life but have just ordered another one as I missed it so much!

I guess some people never grow up! :p

After several full cycles of the battery, I can get almost two days moderate/heavy use out of it.

I hope yourself and as many others as possible manage to get a similar performance from your battery.

Upvote 0
I'm 22, 23 next friday. I think the poll could have used more options!

I wanted to keep the poll pretty simple, it's not very exact but gives a good idea of who buys the phone.

After several full cycles of the battery, I can get almost two days moderate/heavy use out of it.

I'm very easily getting through the day with 30% battery left, despite several hours of wifi/data connections and plenty of texting, not to mention the amount of time the screen spends on and the amount I'm using the CPU at the moment trying to get all my widgets arranged correctly. Very happy with the battery life actually!

Upvote 0
I'm still having to charge mine fully at least once a day. Had it over a week now. But I'm still in love with it.

As off topic as the thread is veering, have you tried putting some toggles on a homescreen somewhere? That's what saves my battery life. Whenever I'm not using the internet one tap shuts off wifi/data and lets the phone tick away on a 2G network.

Upvote 0

I hope yourself and as many others as possible manage to get a similar performance from your battery.

Cheers Johnny :). Maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance - I'd be happy enough if I could get it to about 17 hours i.e. switch on at 7 in the morning and off at midnight. I was barely getting that despite it being sat on my desk doing nothing from 8 til 6. When I get the new one I'll have to persevere with toggling stuff off and on although it still rankles having a smartphone that you have to 'manage' so much just to get half decent battery life. An issue with all smartphones, I know, but it seemed a bit more pronounced on the Desire.

Anyway - apologies as I'm veering way OT and I know there are countless threads on this subject.

Upvote 0
As off topic as the thread is veering, have you tried putting some toggles on a homescreen somewhere? That's what saves my battery life. Whenever I'm not using the internet one tap shuts off wifi/data and lets the phone tick away on a 2G network.

Yeah, I have the power widget on one of my home screens, but can't find a 3G/2G one? I usually turn off GPS and WiFi when I don't need them (though WiFi famously uses less battery I sometimes find it faster to load pages on 3G, than my internet connection depending on traffic coming from our house...0.5mbit :()

It's getting better by the day, but I still notice heavy 3G useage kills the battery.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I have the power widget on one of my home screens, but can't find a 3G/2G one? I usually turn off GPS and WiFi when I don't need them (though WiFi famously uses less battery I sometimes find it faster to load pages on 3G, than my internet connection depending on traffic coming from our house...0.5mbit :()

It's getting better by the day, but I still notice heavy 3G useage kills the battery.

Don't want to take this thread too far of course, but mine has been unplugged for 32 hours and I have 25% left. This is with fairly heavy use during day 1 (browsing, phone calls, texts gameplay, wifi and 3g) and average use today (mostly just games and texts). To be honest, I am perfectly happy with the battery.

I havent been turning of wifi or 3g and I have been on max screen brightness, so I think I might even be able to squeeze a third day out of it if I was really careful.

Upvote 0
I'm well into the 40-50 range:(:D APNDROID is a good 2g/3g toggle. The battery life is the same as my earlier phones. My Nokia 2110i would go through the normal battery PLUS an extended life battery in a working day if you used it for more than about hour or so of talktime. I guess it's the price you pay for all the functionality.

Upvote 0
Long press on a homescreen, add widget, find settings on the list, and click the arrow next to it. There'll be some individual toggles, one of which is for Data/3G.

All I have is airplane mode, bluetooth, GPS, mobile network and WiFi.

Ninjaedit:

Ah ha! It appears "mobile network" is the switch for data. I turned that off, via the widget, and sucessfully called my answer phone inbox.

My record uptime is about 100 hours, because I kept charging before the battery depleted. I'm sure batterylife should increase. My battery status is "good" and it doesn't need calibrating.

Upvote 0
Good thread! I'm 41 and recently sent my Desire back largely due to the hopeless battery life but have just ordered another one as I missed it so much!

There is a T-Shirt slogun in there some place... great to know !

Me I'm 47 and the Desire is like waking up to a new world (I upgraded from TYTN II)

My 16yr old daughter got the Legend and loves that to bits.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones