• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Desire slowed down

My desire has slowed down in the last couple of days. My phone storage and memory are like:

Storage card - 4 GB - 611 mb free
In-built - 81 mb free

Would anyone know abt cud be the reason?

Thanks

You have probably got too many programs running in the background. You need to download a task manager ( i use advanced task manager ). You can quickly close running programs and your phone will speed up like new :)

Upvote 0
You have probably got too many programs running in the background. You need to download a task manager ( i use advanced task manager ). You can quickly close running programs and your phone will speed up like new :)

I'm not entirely sure this is the cause to be honest. Going from what has been in other threads, Android will close running programs down automatically if the resources are needed elsewhere.

Upvote 0
try a reboot first, if that doesn't work try uninstalling some of your apps to find the culprit.

+1

1) As your phone is slower now, look at your Cache, and see if it might be full. If it is Empty it.

2) Do a soft reset (reboot and/or battery pull)

3) Usually when my phone starts acting up for 'no reason'...I usually look at all the apps I downloaded before the phone started to act up, since it smells like a rouge app. You can check your Application Process or battery usage under setting to see if there's an app that's constantly running in the background and if it's one of the more recent one and you can't explain why it'd be constantly running. Uninstall them one by one to see if they are the culprit. Use the phone without the app to see if the phone speeds up.

4) If this doesn't work, I'd say do a factory reset.

You can install a task manager like ATK and use that to kill the apps, but if it is a rouge app, then this will just hide the symptom and not fix the problem. Also, task killing apps aren't recommended or needed for Android phones.

Hope you get this issue fix and enjoy your phone again :)

Signing off,
-Roze-

Upvote 0
I don't think this is 100% foolproof though especially if the program adds itself to startup. a lot of a time it tends to put them into a standby mode and not kill them. There is no harm using an app killer or manually doing it through the phones settings and 'applications' tab.

I'm not entirely sure this is the cause to be honest. Going from what has been in other threads, Android will close running programs down automatically if the resources are needed elsewhere.

Upvote 0
I don't think this is 100% foolproof though especially if the program adds itself to startup. a lot of a time it tends to put them into a standby mode and not kill them. There is no harm using an app killer or manually doing it through the phones settings and 'applications' tab.
While it's true that it's no harm, there's an easy habit that can make it much less necessary -- by taking care how you exit your apps. Trust me: I'm on a Galaxy, I know how to manage my memory. :)

- If you press HOME, the application will stay alive but paused until it regains focus or is stopped by the memory manager.
- If you press BACK, the application may go back to where you were previously (keep pressing), or it may quit. This is a way of telling the OS that you're done with this app, and it will be stopped unless it specifically needs to remain alive (but paused).
- If you go directly to some other task (eg. the phone rings), the app will behave as if you pressed HOME.

This is kinda hard to tell because it will show up in the Recent Apps list either way, so you do need to play around with a task manager to monitor what's actually going on.

Upvote 0

I am going by my own experience. My desire slowed to a crawl until I started using Advanced task manager, but since I have been using it to manage my phone I have seen the phone go back to its speedy best. I tried app killers but had a few problems with them closing programs I wanted left on.
From my experience Android just leaves programs running in the backround or idle, this imo will only help to slow the phone down.

Upvote 0
From my experience Android just leaves programs running in the backround or idle, this imo will only help to slow the phone down.

Not true, I have my phone for over 2 months, I don't use ATK and my phone is still running at a good speed (not at its pristine and naked self when I unboxed it).

Also If there are too many resources being used up (a lot of apps in idle) and the CPU notice that you haven't used some of the apps in awhile, it will assume that you don't need it and close those apps down. This is how Android OS manages app, it'll close the unused apps after awhile to open up memory for apps that you are currently using.

Upvote 0
When I got my phone I installed task killer and it was always speedy and responsive, the I uninstalled it as people say it didn't need one, eats up the battery all the usual blah. After I removed it I found my phone would become so slow and sluggish and I really didn't like what I was seeing. So I put another task killer back in and everything is fine again.

Battery lasts for ages, always have a speedy interface and anything that isn't vital or not being used gets shut down so when I next go to do something it's ready to go.

People will argue both ways, for me having tried with and without a task killer many times, I am going to be sticking with mine.

If anyone is insterested I use ES Task Manager (as well as their file manager) and they are both great pieces of software.

To anyone that does use one you must make sure you know what you are doing when it comes to adding items to the ignore list, othwerwise you may end up with no advantage at all.

Upvote 0
When I got my phone I installed task killer and it was always speedy and responsive, the I uninstalled it as people say it didn't need one, eats up the battery all the usual blah. After I removed it I found my phone would become so slow and sluggish and I really didn't like what I was seeing. So I put another task killer back in and everything is fine again.

Battery lasts for ages, always have a speedy interface and anything that isn't vital or not being used gets shut down so when I next go to do something it's ready to go.

People will argue both ways, for me having tried with and without a task killer many times, I am going to be sticking with mine.

If anyone is interested I use ES Task Manager (as well as their file manager) and they are both great pieces of software.

To anyone that does use one you must make sure you know what you are doing when it comes to adding items to the ignore list, otherwise you may end up with no advantage at all.

For Android users...this will be the most controversial topic...there's always people for or against task killer. End of the day it all comes down to preference.

If you use task killer after using your phone without it and see that your phone performs better, then you go for it! But I have a great dislike for people that tell new users on this forum, 'Yes! You need a task killer for the phone to work'. :mad: People should try using their phone with or without task killer and see how their phone performs in both situation and pick what they believe is best for their phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones