• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Desire vs Galaxy S

Galaxy S is clear winner in my mind, I never even considered any of the HTC phones, there all variations for the same specs over and over with slightly different setups and designs.

Processor

Snapdragon 1GHz Vs Hummingbird 1GHz

Hummingbird is faster in every test I've seen.

Win = Galaxy S

Gaming

Galaxy S uses PowerVR SGX540 which is around twice as fast at processing graphics, Galaxy S is unmatched here.

Win = Galaxy S

Screen

Reactions: aphecs
Upvote 0
I think the Galaxy S is a bit early to the party. It has this amazing GPU, but no games to really take advantage of it. It's like having the most powerful car in the world, but living on a small island that is only 100 metres across.

By the time graphic intensive games start coming out on Android, the Galaxy S will be old news. What worries be more is that, as a phone, it seems slower than the Desire. Menus lag more often and the UI is not even nearly as good as sense. Then you have the plastic build quality... it might be a hardware powerhouse, but I have seen

Upvote 0
The Galaxy S doesnt need next gen games to show off it's performance, try the current range of gameloft's 3d games, they are all silky smooth with zero slowdown on the galaxy s and they load fast.

Whether you like the interface or not is subjective. I think many here are so used to sense that they can't be objective anymore.

I like the inferface just fine, easy to navigate and quick. :p

Upvote 0
I think the Galaxy S is a bit early to the party. It has this amazing GPU, but no games to really take advantage of it. It's like having the most powerful car in the world, but living on a small island that is only 100 metres across.

By the time graphic intensive games start coming out on Android, the Galaxy S will be old news. What worries be more is that, as a phone, it seems slower than the Desire. Menus lag more often and the UI is not even nearly as good as sense. Then you have the plastic build quality... it might be a hardware powerhouse, but I have seen

Reactions: galaxyS
Upvote 0
I bought SGS for all the things people have been raving about and have to say those 'Pros' are really pro's. But I still returned SGS to keep my desire because.

1. UI ! dont get me wrong UI is not bad - but it just doesn't fit in like the desire - no lag, crashes ever. Ease of use and smoothness of everything - not to mention contact management and integration was quite irritating.

2. GPS is outright flawed. I personally think its a design issue and may not be fixed by firmware update. I' like to keep fit outdoors, I use apps like MyTracks and Endomondo and SGS really screws up .e.g If I run 5Km it might show 10Km . From my perspective GPS DOESNT WORK! You may be fine here is you use a Google Navigation as it may average out and "stick" you to the nearest road.

3. Front cam is useless - of course fring are working on it - but currently it doesnt work.

People will argue about how I can fix these issues some way or the other. I aint paying that kind of money where I have to work on it to make it work! Desire is a sign of quality since pretty much everything works fine out of the box.

If I play with my desire i.e. root it, change the firmware etc etc ... it is not for making things right .. It usually just for my kicks. In an Ideal world HTC Desire would have SGS screen, SGS GPU - and thats about it.

As someone said I'll just hold out till HTC better SGS.

Upvote 0
The GPS-issue is occurring on Desires as well, although I don't know the frequency of that. My friend has a Desire and when several times when he's taken a walk through the city it has shown him taken significant detours he has never taken, plus that it showed him walking on a nearby railroad instead of the street he actually were walking on. It seems to be individual differences on both models.

Upvote 0
The GPS-issue is occurring on Desires as well, although I don't know the frequency of that. My friend has a Desire and when several times when he's taken a walk through the city it has shown him taken significant detours he has never taken, plus that it showed him walking on a nearby railroad instead of the street he actually were walking on. It seems to be individual differences on both models.

Possible .. but we have about 3 Desire's in the family and all of them seem to fine. It is possible that my specific SGS had the problem and it may not be a design flaw -

But anyone who is planning on using SGS with such Apps - Try and use them before you run out of the cooling period after you buy the phone.

Upvote 0
The grey area with the Galaxy v Desire debate is the speed and lag when navigating around the phone. A lot of people are saying the Galaxy is quite laggy in comparison with the Desire, and after playing with a Galaxy in my local Carphone Warehouse store, I would agree with this.

However, there are also a lot of people who say that the Galaxy doesn't suffer from lag and slow navigation. On the same visit to my local Carphone Warehouse store there was a Samsung employee with another Galaxy S (not in the dock/cradle) and it felt good in the hand and seemed a lot faster than the model on the dock/in the cradle - eg. no lag.

Upvote 0
Yes, there has been some points where people are having varied experiences. Some have GPS problems, some have lag in their UI and some have trouble getting back on 3G after they lose signal. I have none of those flaws on my device, but it's of course very hard to say why there's a difference as it can depend on quite a lot of different factors.

Some might suffer from a bad flash since it seems like the phones were reflashed short before the release, which is probably why some have double security stickers. There can of course also be hardware malfunctions, apps that don't communicate correctly with the API and so on.

Upvote 0
I've got the same dilemma at the moment. My contract with Orange is up in about 9 days and I'm torn between the Desire and the Galaxy S. My brother has the Desire so I've had a good play around with that over the past few weeks, and my girlfriend has the Hero so I'm pretty clued up on HTC Android devices. These leaves the Galaxy as a bit of an unknown quantity unfortunately. I had a play around with one in the Carphone Warehouse on the weekend but there is only so much you can learn from a 5 minute session.

My main concerns with the Galaxy S are;

-No camera flash
-Build quality (plastic and light in the hand, does not feel substantial)
-Future software updates (ie, Gingerbread)
-No notification light (what a silly oversight by Samsung)

I'm definitely drifting towards the Galaxy S purely for the specifications of the device, but there are just those few remaining niggles in the back of my head. Obviously when you are making an 18/24 month commitment you don't want to have any bad feelings about it!

Upvote 0
I've got the same dilemma at the moment. My contract with Orange is up in about 9 days and I'm torn between the Desire and the Galaxy S. My brother has the Desire so I've had a good play around with that over the past few weeks, and my girlfriend has the Hero so I'm pretty clued up on HTC Android devices. These leaves the Galaxy as a bit of an unknown quantity unfortunately. I had a play around with one in the Carphone Warehouse on the weekend but there is only so much you can learn from a 5 minute session.

My main concerns with the Galaxy S are;

-No camera flash
-Build quality (plastic and light in the hand, does not feel substantial)
-Future software updates (ie, Gingerbread)
-No notification light (what a silly oversight by Samsung)

I'm definitely drifting towards the Galaxy S purely for the specifications of the device, but there are just those few remaining niggles in the back of my head. Obviously when you are making an 18/24 month commitment you don't want to have any bad feelings about it!
The SGS is not perfect, nor is any other phone, so you should probably be able to come up with some niggling points for all phones so I don't see how you could eliminate all bad feelings before a purchase.

The SGS does not have a camera flash so the Desire will be able to take pictures in darker environments than the SGS. The SGS does take better pictures though (and much better films) and even works better in evening light, despite the lack of flash, when I compared to a friend's Desire. I also took a photo of a dark room, only lit by a TV, and did the same with a Nokia N95 8GB which has an LED flash and the SGS picture was actually brighter and more visible details. So while a flash is useful it's not as big of a deal as some might think if there's differences in the camera hardware (although it's of course individual whether the actual benefits are important or not)

That the phone is light in hand is a sign of better design since it does have better hardware. Higher weight is never a good aspect of a mobile device in my view. The plastic feel is again something that you have to decide for yourself. I don't have any problems with it myself but that doesn't say how you will feel about it.

I don't think Samsung is worse than HTC on the update front. The Galaxy didn't get 2.1 due to Google's requirements but the Spica got 2.1 months before HTC Hero.

Notification LED is just something you have to live without if you get the SGS. No way around that.

But all in all you'll have to put these things against the negatives of the Desire (worse screen, very small ROM for apps, slower CPU, much slower RAM, much slower GPU, no inbuilt storage, worse audio quality etc) and decide which of the two phones match your requirements the best. In the end only you can decide what the information is worth to you.

Upvote 0
I don't think Samsung is worse than HTC on the update front. The Galaxy didn't get 2.1 due to Google's requirements but the Spica got 2.1 months before HTC Hero.

Not trusting Samsung to provide an update was the reason I almost didn't get a Galaxy S.

The update for the Spica was screwed up beyond belief. They claimed it was available back in May but rolled it out very slowly using the beyond appalling 'New PC Studio' software, which did not work at all well.

As of today T-Mobile UK Spicas still run v1.5 with hugely conflicting respones from T-Mobile/Samsung as to whether this will ever happen.

Upvote 0
Obviously when you are making an 18/24 month commitment you don't want to have any bad feelings about it!

I don't think I'll ever sign a commitment for hardware again. I've figured out that the high end smartphones actually sell pretty well on eBay, and so if you just lay out the cash for the no-contract device, you have the option to jump ship at any time and sell off the phone to mitigate your losses. Or take the phone elsewhere if that's applicable.

The longer you have the phone, the less you can sell it for - but the more use you've gotten out of it. For me, it's about a wash - and it's certainly cheaper than the early termination fees.

It's more out-of-pocket, but in terms of generic costs to me overall, I think it's cheaper to buy the phone than to either be stuck with a service I don't like (*cough* AT&T *cough*) or have to eat the ETF to get out.

Upvote 0
I have a Desire and have had nothing but problems with it. Poor reception, crashes, calls cutting out, texts bounced back, poor bluetooth, dead pixel.
I also find that the UI is quite jerky.
Just went to look at a Samsung in the Orange shop. Yes it is light and plasticky no doubt, but the screen kicks ASS, so much brighter, sharper and slicker than Desire, and smoother too. I want an SGS now.

Upvote 0
Good comparison between Desire and Galaxy (and IPhone)

HTC Desire vs iPhone 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S | News | TechRadar UK
Thanks for the link, but I honestly think they did a poor job of explaining the differences of the phones. They missed strong points for all of the phones, just as they forgot to mention some quite significant drawbacks. It can of course be due to the very brief format they used but it made them come off as they didn't really know most things about any of the three phones.

Saying things like that the spec sheet says that the Retina is superior to the other displays is just weird. You don't say that unless you just look at resolution/ppi, which is about as bright as someone just looking at the megapixel rate on a camera. That's just not how you review a spec sheet.

Upvote 0
If you're interested in the latest Android version.... Galaxy Win.

Those on HTC will not get an update to 2.2.

Yesterday we revealed that HTC would not be releasing FroYo updates for their Android-based smartphones until Christmas, now we are hearing rumors surrounding the FroYo update for the Samsung Galaxy S aka the Facinate, Vibrant, Epic and Captivate.
Apparently we can expect the update to become available as of early August, which will no doubt sway some consumers decisions when choosing between a high-end HTC smartphone and the Galaxy S.

The Nexus One has already proved that the FroYo update seriously increases performance, therefore Android fans are keen to get the update asap, I can

Upvote 0
If you're interested in the latest Android version.... Galaxy Win.

Those on HTC will not get an update to 2.2.

The phrasing of the thing that comes from was 'I would believe that we would be done with our Froyo updates before Christmas', meaning all FroYo updates across all compatible HTC phones, so its not something to really rabble about just yet.

If the official FroYo date is going to sway you, then wait until its popped, or at least until there are actual release dates. Although the Galaxy will benefit from the general optimizations of FroYo, a lot of the functionality is there already (Wifi tether) or moot (no real need to install to SD with that much space), so I don't see why this would be THAT big an issue.

TBH, decide on what the phone can do for you when you buy it. Samsung don't have the best reputation with updates, but the Galaxy seems to be pushing hard at the top end of the market, and I can't see them screwing up the updates. May be faster or slower than other manufacturers, but they will come.

If you are constantly hooked on whats just over the rainbow, you'll never buy a device :p

Upvote 0
Galaxy S is clear winner in my mind, I never even considered any of the HTC phones, there all variations for the same specs over and over with slightly different setups and designs.

Processor

Snapdragon 1GHz Vs Hummingbird 1GHz

Hummingbird is faster in every test I've seen.

Win = Galaxy S

Gaming

Galaxy S uses PowerVR SGX540 which is around twice as fast at processing graphics, Galaxy S is unmatched here.

Win = Galaxy S

Screen

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones