• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Details wanted: WiFi/Mobile Network

JLampitt

Dec 14, 2009
There are some older posts on this topic but I'm looking for some clarity.

Note: I'm using the HTC Settings widget(s) to enable WiFi, GPS, Airplane and Mobile on-demand. I have software v1.56.651.2.

Questions

1) When both WiFi and Mobile networks are enabled (and connected) which takes priority?

2) Can I "safely" switch off the Mobile network when WiFi is enabled? (I haven't had any mobile network connectivity issues reported in other threads. Seems to connect back to the mobile network pretty quickly.)

2b) If I switch off the Mobile network while WiFi is enabled, what services am I loosing?

3) What happens when the phone sleeps with Wifi enabled and Mobile disabled? What about when both are enabled?

1. WiFi (Unless you are sending or receiving a picture mail / mms)
2. a.Yes
b. Picture Mail
3. a. WiFi sleeps when the phone sleeps, unless a program is keeping it active, so there would be no data connection
b. WiFi sleeps and data stays active.

Personally I keep WiFi and Mobile toggled to the ON position 24/7. This seems to provide me with the best battery life. It is also just easier because then my device seamlessly transitions between the two.

Contrary to previous devices I have had before (excluding the Palm Pre) WiFi usage seems to actually be easier on the battery then 1xRTT (I can not speak for EVDO connections).

My battery life is excellent and easily lasts over 12 hours.

Upvote 0
There is a setting to keep wifi from sleeping, which works pretty well, but not perfectly:

Settings: Wireless Controls: Wifi Settings: Menu: Advanced: Wi-Fi Sleep Policy

As KennyIdaho mentioned, there are also apps to ensure that wi-fi never sleeps. I've used WiFi Fixer, which works very well.

I just leave WiFi on all the time (but I turn notification of open networks off).

Upvote 0
I was able to fiddle with this a little more. For the life of me I could not figure out the "Menu" part of the sequence listed above.

Then it hit me. The MENU button idiot!! =)

Amazing (and odd) how there seem to be nested menu's where you least expect them. ;-)

Thanks again jimdroid.

JL

Upvote 0
I was able to fiddle with this a little more. For the life of me I could not figure out the "Menu" part of the sequence listed above.

Then it hit me. The MENU button idiot!! =)

Amazing (and odd) how there seem to be nested menu's where you least expect them. ;-)

Thanks again jimdroid.

JL

Sorry to cost you time...next time I will put it this way :Menu Button: ...

Now, though, you need to spend more time going through all your apps and pressing :Menu Button to see what treasures lurk there :)

jd

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones