• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root dethrottled

suprafreak

Dec 12, 2013
I've been trying for a long time to find a way to dethrottle my phone. when I finally did it was like a smack to my face for trying to hard. When I got closer and closer to the 2.5 GB limit I switched it to 3g to stretch it as far as It can go.
I read the connection optimizer terms and conditions. it said it'll send the carrier info about things and data usage. I was like okay I don't want that and turned it off. and I reached the cap off of 3g.
I was curious and switched back to 4g and did a speed test and there ya have it. I was getting 20+ mbps. so far it's going good for 2days straight now. I did 4gb so far. if anyone can replicate this and tell me how it goes that would be awesome.

3g is throttled and 4g is not.

UPDATE: this has worked for me two times in a row
when your getting close to your cap just switch to 3g and turn off connections optimizer. reach your cap and throttle, then switch back to 4g for (make sure it switches to 4g) for continued data speeds. reseting your phone or updating your prl will leave you throttle again.

if you are already throttled both 3g and 4g then you can try this:
download "4g switcher" from the market
switch to "lte/wcdma" mode.
and continue with your data speeds.
i need someone to test this out
it worked for me and I immediately posted this.

downside to this is it will leave you without cdma.
(text or call)
this is 100% reversible by pressing "lte/evdo/cdma" to revert it back to how it was.

UPDATE 2: Once you revert things back to stock and are throttled again and cant make this work any longer, simply turn your connection optimizer back on, switch to 3g, and do a battery pull.
restart and once its on, quickly turn off connections optimizer, switch to 4glte from settings
then switch to lte/evdo/cdma from the 4g switcher app.

sometime you just have to fiddle with it. if all else fails try going back to 3g in phone settings.
then hit "unknown"under the 4g switcher app. go to all apps under app settings wipe the data from connections optimizer. switch it back to 3g under mobile network settings, turn off the connection optimizer again. the go back to the 4g switcher app and hit lte only.
its confusing i know but were just trying to glitch the auto prl to lock into a setting thats not throttled
by confusing it.

had to reset my phone and got throttle again.
but here's what I got out of it

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-04-29-19-50-09.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-04-29-19-50-09.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 103
Upvote 0
DiSCLAiMER: I am not held responsible for anything that may go wrong with your device, by following this guide you accept that you and only YOU are responsible for anything good or bad that may come from this. ~

Things that may help your data speeds a tad bit faster if you have officially been throttled and are at 0.18 kb like me:

1.) Install BusyBox Free; https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=stericson.busybox|
Open up 'BusyBox' and tap on "Install". Exit.

.) InstallAnTuTuCPU Master Free; https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.antutu.CpuMasterFree
|
Open up 'AnTuTu CPU Master' and set "Min" to its max. Set on boot = checked. Tap "Apply". Exit.
3.) Install 3G/4G Speed Optimizer; https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=provision.netspeed.optimizer
|
Open up '3G/4G Speed Optimizer' and tap on "10/10/6 - Normal" and change it to "12/28/7 - Max speed(low battery)", and where it says "Default(automatically checked)", tap on "Down speed increase (slow upload), after that tap on "Apply Tweak!". Exit.

4.) Install 4G Switcher; https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tapbase.LTEswitcher
|
Open up '4G Switcher' and scroll down until you find the *drop-down* menu with "Unknown" selected. Tap on "Unknown" and choose "LTE/WCDMA" the 13th option. Open up options by tapping on
untitled.jpg
and at the bottom where it displays "Disable data connection"... tap on it twice, to disable and re-enable your data connection.
Exit.

Once you have completed 1-4, follow this guide:

[GUIDE] How to Disable Boost Data Throttle - *Confirmed Works
http://androidforums.com/galaxy-s2-...able-boost-data-throttle-confirmed-works.html

And this one:

[Guide] Get yor MSL and Bypass/Remove Throttling
http://androidforums.com/vital-all-...ide-get-yor-msl-bypass-remove-throttling.html

Ookla - Speed Test will not really help you in determining how fast your speed is if you are in my position; but you will notice a huge difference when downloading!

BTW.. in any market app, 1Mobile-GooglePlay, etc; if you tap on "Pause" & "Resume" really fast, it increases download speed through the market app by a second.

Upvote 0
what it seems like what boost does to throttle you is..
your phone sends bits of data out telling the carrier how much data you use. it determines where your at and updates your prl according to that tower.

now im not sure about this but it seems like each tower has a different prl for data throttle. because all i have to do is disable background data for the ports under data usage and drive 10 miles down the street and ill get my speeds back.
and i repeat everytime i reset my phone or turn off wifi.

Upvote 0
i find it easier to lock your phone into 4g on a different tower and then come back to your area. but yes it works for me but my way is hard to explain. heres my data usage so far
I reaLLY wish that I.. Could be experiencing thy "Never-Despair-No-ThrottLe-WiLL-Ever-Dare." reaLity.
thrasher.gif

:,(

Edit: I hope no misunderstanding has befallen you. I wrote my reply not with any offensive comical intent, but in improper grammar. >.>

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones