• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

"Device Explorer" missing on Android Studio "Giraffe" (M1 Mac)

TheSwede86

Lurker
Oct 20, 2023
Android Studio Giraffe | 2022.3.1 Patch 2
MacBook Pro 16" 2021 (Apple Silicon)
Mac OS X Ventura 13.4.1 (c) (22F770820d)

Hello,

Sorry if this is a "stupid" question but I recently installed (just the other day actually) Android Studio on my PC and was able to browse my AVDs filesystem using "Device Explorer" in Android Studio.

However when trying to do the same on my Mac the "folder"-icon is greyed out in "Device Manager" and I can't find "Device Explorer" in the menubar under "Tools".

Attaching printscreen.

Screenshot 2023-10-20 at 20.47.36.png

Am I missing something?

Best Regards - TheSwede86

It's not a "stupid" question at all! It's common for users to encounter differences between platforms. On Mac, Android Studio doesn't have "Device Explorer." Instead, you can access the device's file system through "Device File Explorer." It should be found in the bottom right corner of the Android Studio window. Click on it, and you'll be able to browse the AVD's file system.
Thank you for your reply.

I think I might have done a brainfart.

What I did to get the results I originally posted.

* Started Android Studio
* Directly went to "Tools" > "Device Manager" (without creating or opening a "Project")

What I did now:
* Started Android Studio
* When seeing the splashscreen "Welcome to Android Studio" > "Projects" > "New Project" > "Templates: Phone and Tablet" > "No activity" > "Minimum SDK: API 33 ("Tiramisu"; Android 13.0)"
* Now I can see the "UI" I'm used to and can find and toggle "Device Explorer" and browse the filesystem of the virtual device.
The "Folder"-icon isn't greyed out now either.

I guess I did the same thing on my Windows machine ("Project" > "Virtual device" > "Device Explorer") but the UI threw me off on Mac.

Thanks again for the reply!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones