• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help DHD creating new media folders

HecklerUK

Nov 14, 2011
Last week when I got the phone I made a load of ringtones, alarms and notifications.

These were stored in the media\audio\ folder.

This evening I created a few new ones, and discovered that the old ones had now disappeared.

After plugging the phone into the PC as a hard drive, I discovered that the new files I had created (using ringdroid) had created a new media\audio\notifications and media\audio\ringtones folders... and the original folders had been renamed media 0\audio\

I was able to get them back by simply transferring them to the new media\audio folders... but I'd rather not have this happen again.

Does anyone know why this happened and how I can stop it.

I'd installed ringdroid last week and created the rintones/alarms/notifications with it.

But I do recall an issue that required me to format the card after connecting the phone to the PC as a hard drive.

and I've just discovered that the maps I downloaded are now missing from the card.

I've seen mention of some tool for testing the SD card... can I find it in the app store?

Upvote 0
I've seen mention of some tool for testing the SD card... can I find it in the app store?

I believe what you mean is something that El Presidente has referred to a couple of times - H2testw.

Just had a quick look on the market (and couldn't see it on there)... a google search brings up a load of stuff for softpedia.

I've not used H2testw myself, but I'd go with what El P has said - he knows his stuff! :)

Upvote 0
I don't have an adaptor for the card, so I connected the phone to the PC as a hard disk again and couldn't access it, ran the built in Windows scan and it fixed some kind of error and allowed the card to be accessed.

Just backing it up now, then a format and run the h2testw tool and see what it throws up.

I might just buy a new card as this one has been problematic so far... but not sure if that's the card or the phone causing the issue... all I know is that connecting it to the PC as a hard disk screws things up.

Upvote 0
The results are in

Warning: Only 15176 of 15269 MByte tested. (NTFS formatted, so this is normal)
The media is likely to be defective.
14.8 GByte OK (31080444 sectors)
2 KByte DATA LOST (4 sectors)
Details:0 KByte overwritten (0 sectors)
0 KByte slightly changed (< 8 bit/sector, 0 sectors)
2 KByte corrupted (4 sectors)
0 KByte aliased memory (0 sectors)
First error at offset: 0x00000001bfffbe08
Expected: 0xbfffbe1a3ffc2211
Found: 0xbfffbe5a3ffc2211
H2testw version 1.3
Writing speed: 5.35 MByte/s
Reading speed: 14.4 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

So it's def a 16GB card, probably a class 2 or 4, and 4 sectors damaged.

Upvote 0
From what I can tell the phone needs to do that before it will recognise the card, when I remounted the card it didn't recognise the file format... the phone format took about 2 secs, so it can't be a proper format.

So far... so good. I've connected as a hard drive several times with no unwanted side effects so far.

Still think I'll get a spare card as a backup... just in case. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones