• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Did ICS finally make this a world phone?

How sure are you about the pre-paid SIM from European providers? FWIW, I'm currently back in Germany (drove through Germany to reach Switzerland, drove through Austria, and back to Germany - all in one day) and made contact with Vodaphone in Germany as well as I forget which provider in Switzerland (made a call back to the States from the city of St. Gallen, Switzerland). I didn't check the Austrian provider's name but got the usual robo-messages from VZW about roaming in Austria, as well as Switzerland, and the return to Germany. And all without a SIM card from Vodaphone et al. I did sign up with VZW for the international data plan, which includes voice and text. And I have a SIM from VZW, installed when I bought the phone. FWIW, even in Germany, I've had support from O2 as well as Vodaphone (on previous trips). If I need a pre-paid SIM for each provider... Not Good.

All of this is on an HTC Droid Incredible 2. I own a Maxx but had to leave it in the States as ICS hadn't been released for OTA update (and GSM support) before leaving the US.

Upvote 0
How sure are you about the pre-paid SIM from European providers?

He is not.

It's a feature being touted, but you have to call and work through verizon international. I find when I call them, there is hardly a wait.

Choose a country they don't have access to (through carrier agreements), and ask if they will unlock your phone.... blah blah typical your account in good standing for x amount of time, may not even be possible on a prepaid sim.

Upvote 0
Calling VZW, in general, strikes me as nailing jelly to the wall. The people are usually friendly but few really understand the products or services.

Every time I return to Germany, I get messages warning about massive phone charges even though I have the international data plan in place. VZW then says something to the effect the message is wrong (and the phone bill agrees - whew!!) but can't explain why the messages are sent.

It's helluva way to run a railroad... :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones