Did Metro do something recently to block tethering?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drtobaggan

drtobaggan Well-Known Member

I was able to use "Wireless Tether" flawlessly, but then I exchanged my phone for a new one and now I can't get it to work at all. The phone is rooted and the app runs and everything looks fine, but no websites come through on my laptop. I tried messing with all the security features but nothing worked.

Anybody have an idea about how to fix this?

Thanks!

Advertisement
    :
  2. ShinySide

ShinySide Disabled

Try changing it all to channel 11.

Also in the build prop theres a line that says "ro.tether.denied=true" try changing that true to false and reboot and see if that helps
  3. drtobaggan

Thanks for the response! Unfortunately changing to channel 11 didn't work.

Also, I changed the entry to "false" but that also didn't do the trick. I just edited it in notepad, is this right? I have attached mine. (I appended the file with .txt because otherwise it wouldn't upload).

Attached Files:

4. ShinySide

ShinySide Disabled

Yeah ro.tether.denied=false would be right. Oh also did you change it on your router? The channel I mean

Here the tether app Im using. It works pretty well
    https://market.android.com/details?...t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsIm9nLmFuZHJvaWQudGV0aGVyIl0.
  5. Android14

Android14 Well-Known Member

6. drtobaggan

7. danyvw

danyvw Well-Known Member

They did something at least in South Florida. Since yesterday I'm unable to get internet using many Tether porgrams.
  8. Prime85

Prime85 Well-Known Member

Works pefectly for me in SFL
  9. TattooedDroid

TattooedDroid Well-Known Member

Same here...no problems...I'm using open garden..
  10. Prime85

Prime85 Well-Known Member

11. Joshuah22a

Joshuah22a Well-Known Member

Mines isnt working in orlando..only site that works perfect is facebook..everything else wont load..
  12. Aplus

Aplus Well-Known Member

A reliable source has confirmed that Metro is starting to block tethering.
  13. yahhboy

yahhboy Well-Known Member

+1 I was just about to say that on here :D
  14. redhook

redhook Well-Known Member

Change the DNS on your computer to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 after connecting to your phone and see if that helps.
  15. redhook

Tethering apps maybe (they already did this with the Indulge). But so long as you have a data connection there will always be a way to tether.
  16. danyvw

danyvw Well-Known Member

I did it, even changed to Open DNS and didn't work.
  17. NeoSabin

NeoSabin Well-Known Member

Open garden is working fine from esteem to nook color and optimus m. Try either disabling your firewall completely for a sec in windows to see if that's the problem or try user agent switcher for Firefox, add the opera mini strings. If you get a page load, you might be blocked/flagged.
  18. JWhipple

JWhipple Well-Known Member

19. drtobaggan

I hope some smart developer out there can find a way around this soon. As someone up there said, as long as we have unlimited data on the phone, someone will find a way to tether off it.
  20. redhook

See if you can tether now. It had stopped working for me yesterday but it is working again.
  21. danyvw

danyvw Well-Known Member

I can do it again, in fact I'm writing this using WIFI Theter right now.
  22. DDroump

DDroump Member

demarsjcd likes this.
  23. danyvw

danyvw Well-Known Member

If you are going to change the UA on any browser this is the Esteem Browser string:

Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-us; LG-MS910 Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1
  24. redhook

You do not need to change your desktop browsers user agent. In fact doing so will cause your browser to display the mobile version of websites. I seriously doubt MetroPCS invested money into deep packet inspection (how they would detect the user agent), as that would likely bankrupt them. Besides, most people change the user agent on their phone to match a desktop browser (mobile sites suck).
  25. kanaida

kanaida Well-Known Member

I'm gonna check this out. trying it right now... just so you know garden never worked for me. Only one that always worked for me was "Wireless Tether" wit h a green Wifi icon on the market.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.