• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Did Radio Shack mess up my phone?

Ydoc101lol

Lurker
Jul 4, 2012
TL;DR : Did the woman at Radio Shack mess something up by turning my phone on before activating it? And then did having Wi-Fi on before activation ruin my 3G coverage? Should I take my phone back instead of dealing with Virgin Mobile and just activate the phone myself? :thinking:

So, I just purchased my HTC Evo V 4g Smartphone July 2nd(Monday). I was very excited as I'd been looking for a job for a long time, got a job finally, and received my first paycheck. Well, while I was in radio shack, the woman told me, "Let me go get your phone.", and then proceeded to come from the back room and open my phone up and do it for me. By the time I realized she opened the box and had the phone out, I figured I'd let her just do it.

So, she's on the phone with Virgin Mobile and apparently their having technical difficulties. She turned the phone on first and then tried to activate it. Well, she couldn't get it done so she sent me home with a half ass activation. The phone was on, but I had no connection to anything. I called Virgin Mobile and got it to activate. My WI-FI was on, so I turned it off. Now my 3g in Riverside County (Southern California) is terrible, slow, and a lot of times not even connecting.

Now, I tried to change my phone number from an old Verizon Wireless number. I was told to wait 4-6 hours. I waited 8 hours, then called Virgin Mobile back right before they were about to close. A guy went to transfer me to another department, and then I got a voice recording saying their closed.. so I'm stuck, still unable to do anything with my phone I just spent $400.00 on. (Accessories.)

Called Virgin Mobile and was transferred to three different representatives until finally one of the phone reps. did something for me other than transfer me. However, all he did was "escalate my ticket" to technical support, which apparently will take 24-48 hours to respond. I'm thinking I should just take this phone back and get a new one. It shouldn't be this damn difficult.

Upvote 0
apparently the storms that knocked out parts of amazon and all of netflix for the u.s. knocked out some of virgin mobile, not where i am but many states are effected, and there still working on it. but once they confirm that it is fixed, you should run the activation app if the phone has the app if not the ## number should activate it, the service reps will know the process, this has fixed data issues for me in the past

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones