• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Did they block my tethering?

redsox985

Android Enthusiast
Aug 25, 2011
I had successfully done the TBH radio hack and had good luck with wifi tethering. Friday, I made the 10 hour trip to Illinois for a wedding and used some wifi tethering while on the road to download some files, probably a gig total. Well, I'm now on my way home and I'm unable to get anything to load on my laptop. Mobile hotpot starts up and I'm able to connect to my D3, but no pages will load. I've used about 1.25GB this month of my unlimited data, so I don't see how this could be seen as anything suspicious, I could've merely downloaded a large file while on the road. Any ideas?

EDIT: It says connected, with no internet access.

Now my laptop won't even recognize my broadcasted network, but it's picking up other networks. My SSID isn't hidden

Update: Now, when I turn on mobile hotpot it tries to start then goes to "error" and wont start but I still have 3g. Is this blocked by my phone's serials or whatever or my number?

Just out of curiosity, did you take the OTA?
Taking the OTA or updating via the leaked update would reset the changes the TBH hack made, and you will have to redo them.

But...if the radio hack changes had been un-done by the OTA, he would have gotten redirected by Verizon to the "Sign Up Now for Tethering" page. Sounds like that did not happen.

Using the radio hack to download over a gig of data in one big chunk sounds a bit imprudent, though. Just sayin'... ;-)

Glenn

Upvote 0
I did do the radio hack back before I applied leaked .890, but it worked after I applied the leak. Just this weekend something changed. It. Worked Friday, it doesn't. 2 days later. I'll go back in and change the numbers when I get a new D3 due to my busted space bar. In hindsight, you may be right about the volume of data, but wouldn't using wired tethering be the same which you can do without hacking the radio (and even rooting IIRC)? I only used wireless because I forgot my OEM cable and the one I had from my old Dare wasn't picked up as a USE connection but just a power cord.

EDIT: Ok, went back into RadioComm and pulled the numbers and compared them. The 128 character strings for 8040, 8041, 8042, and 8043 were IDENTICAL. So the applying the leaked OTA did nothing to these figures, nor did VZW somehow magically change them back. They must be blocking it some other way?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones