• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Difference between Internal Storage/Pictures and My Files/ Images?

Hi again,

I will try to keep questions to a minimum, but for now please can someone help, thanks.

I want to transfer selected images from my old tablet to the new A8 but ensure they go to a dedicated folder. I created a new Folder in Internal Storage/Pictures and put some photos there, thinking the folder would automatically show up in Images under My Files.

Fail! No such luck.

I haven't managed to move the new Folder and it's contents to Images. Is there a way to do this?

Failing this, how can I create a new Folder within the Images folder?

I am clearly not understanding the difference between My Files and Internal Storage. Thanks for any suggestions,

Roger

There's a fundamental difference between My Files and Internal Storage. Internal storage is what the name says: it's the tablet's built-in storage (as opposed to a microSD card), i.e. the place where files are stored. My Files is an app that can be used for viewing files in the storage (internal or microSD). So you can use other apps for looking at the files rather than Samsung's My Files app, but whatever app you use you are looking at the files in the internal storage.

I don't use My Files, so am not expert with it. But "images" isn't a place you can move things to: it's a collection of the image files that the app has found, and the files themselves will be in different folders on the device. So it's really a matter of getting My Files to look in your new folder rather than moving anything. I don't know whether it has an option to refresh its list, or include/exclude files from its search path (apps made by big corporations like Google and Samsung tend to be limited in their options, which is a major reason I don't rate them). Or it might have a list of file types it looks for (a really stupid app might recognise .jpg but not .JPG for example). If your folder has a "hidden" file called ".nomedia" in it then it won't look there, but it shouldn't have one unless you put it there (you would need to tell the app to show hidden files before you can see this).

If you can't find anything helpful in the app's settings the first thing I'd try is opening the folder you created using My Files and see whether the images are actually there. The second would be to try opening a Gallery app (Samsung's one, or Google Photos, or a third party one of your choice) and see whether it finds the images. If Samsung's Gallery app doesn't find them try looking in its settings - especially since it's possible that the 2 Samsung apps, Gallery and My Files, are related and that My Files relies on Gallery to build its list of images. The third would be to look at some of the images it does see and see whether there is anything obviously different (e.g. file types).

Of course if you can see them in a Gallery app then you can just use that and not bother with My Files.

Upvote 0
Hello Hadron,

Thank you very much for going to considerable lengths to explain where I was going wrong in my interpretation of what I was seeing. Your explanation makes a lot if sense, and there is no way in the world I would have figured this out for myself.

I, and I am sure a great many others, really appreciate the time and effort you and the other experts give so freely to help us less skilled mortals, thanks again!

Best wishes,

Roger

Upvote 0
why not use samsung's smart switch for this? it can do photos.

That's a good question, on the face of it, it sounds a good idea. However, initially I was reluctant to copy everything from my wife's old tablet to the new because there was a big problem on the old we didn't want replicated on the new. (It would never connect to our wireless printer despite seeking help from Samsung. Both our old tablets were identical and mine would always print!)

I didn't want to copy everything from my old tablet because I wanted to keep things as close to original as possible. However, this morning I gave it a try and now I am trying to reverse a change!

Because I didn't like the standard wallpaper on the new A8, and seeing the opportunity to use SmartSwitch to transfer just the Home Screen, I was tempted to do that. I didn't realise that by doing this I would not only import the original wallpaper but also all the icons etc. and lose some of the new features. Simple question. Is there a way to get back the original factory setting for the Home page?

I fear I am stuck with what I have unless I do a factory reset, which I might just do. If you can suggest a solution I will be very grateful, best wishes

Roger

Upvote 0
Don't do a Factory Reset, really just don't do it. Presumably you don't have any kind of comprehensive backup solution set up and a Factory Reset will wipe all your stored and saved data off.
It's really important you do set up a backup service. Given you don't appear to be too comfortable with such things, it might be best to have someone who is more tech savvy set it up for you. And then show you how to keep it current. Backups are important. They really, really are.
Tell them you want to set up Samsung's Smart Switch utility, and later when you get the time use it until you get familiar with how it works and what it does (keeping in mind to always leave your backed up data alone.).
https://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/app/smart-switch
https://www.androidcentral.com/how-use-samsung-smart-switch

Upvote 0
Hello Svim,

Thank you for replying at length. You are 100% correct that I am not used to backing up data etc and would never normally dream of doing a factory reset. However my current circumstances are somewhat unique, in that it is only a week since I opened the box and set up my tablet. Even less time has passed since my wife opened her package, preferring me to be the ground breaker!

We have been a bit taken aback by the differences between the old Tab A and today's A8 but we will adapt as necessary.

All we have done so far is try to get familiar with the layout of the home screen etc, and installed a handful of apps etc. Basic stuff, but not without its challenges. If I should do a factory reset I am not at risk of losing any data so that is not a concern, in fact as I have a desktop PC for most of my files etc there is seldom enough on my tablet to worry about. (It is used more for ebook reading, internet searches, emails etc)

My thought of resetting to factory state was simply to restore the original home screen which in just a few days I had come to like, and surprisingly I would like to have it back! I only recovered the old home page from the TabA to recover the wallpaper, I never imagined it would change the way apps are displayed etc!

If you can suggest a way to reset just the home page layout I would be delighted,

Sorry to post at length, but thanks for your interest,

Roger

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Hi,

I have written at length, and often, after starting to come to terms with my new A8 tablet. I thank all who have kindly responded with advice and information; I am now over the initial teething troubles and enjoying the rather different features of thus tablet.

I hope I won't need to bother you all again, but it is good know you are there and willing to helpi

Thanks very much

Roger

Upvote 0
Hi,

I have written at length, and often, after starting to come to terms with my new A8 tablet. I thank all who have kindly responded with advice and information; I am now over the initial teething troubles and enjoying the rather different features of thus tablet.

I hope I won't need to bother you all again, but it is good know you are there and willing to helpi

Thanks very much

Roger

Upvote 0
Hi,

Whenever you get stuck on a problem, post your query here. It's not a bother in any way. As more and more questions do get posted, we all benefit by the resulting collective knowledge. The fact is, you are in no way alone on this. We all are going through a constant learning process with our mobile devices at some level.

You might find this worth bookmarking in your web browser for future reference, the User Manual for your tablet (or download it as a PDF file so you can read it whether your online or not):
https://downloadcenter.samsung.com/...47117/SAM_X200_EN_UM_OS11_010322_FINAL_AC.pdf

If you get the urge to really get familiar with all the things your Tab A8 can do, sit down and start going through the Settings menu. It's going to be a direct reflection on only the features and options that your tablet is capable of. The Settings menu in your tablet is specific to your model and just your model -- i.e. you won't be seeing options for special audio features that are on a Lenovo device. The Settings menu in every Android device will be basically similar, but all the manufacturers customize them to correlate with their own products so your Settings menu is a good way to get a handle on your tablet.
All that aside, if you go through each menu item one at a time you'll run across a lot of things you might want to change right away (i.e. font size or appearance) but I'd recommend you don't change anything at this point. Just see what's what first, and note that a lot of menu options have their own sub-menu options (some accessible by a menu icon shaped with a three-dot vertical icon, or three-line horizontal bar icon, or a gear icon). Take your time and don't rush, just get comfortable using Settings, it can be pretty complex. And there will definitely be a lot of unique terminology and naming involved -- use the User Manual or search online, or ask here in the forum. Some menu titles have established definitions, some are unique to Samsung.
Once you do get familiar with your Settings menu, then start making any changes you want. Don't get too over-zealous though, alter things incrementally and keep track of what you change so you can always just change them back.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones