• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Silverwing

Nov 15, 2009
Hello friends,

I have been curious, as to whether there is a Digital Output option for the Motorola Droid. I would like to set the phone so all output through the headphone jack is digital, that way, I could have it run through a dedicated DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) and use superior (and dedicated) audiophile equipment. If this is not possible, is there any third party programs that can or do make this possible?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Hello friends,

I have been curious, as to whether there is a Digital Output option for the Motorola Droid. I would like to set the phone so all output through the headphone jack is digital, that way, I could have it run through a dedicated DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) and use superior (and dedicated) audiophile equipment. If this is not possible, is there any third party programs that can or do make this possible?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

I've never heard of any phone that has this capability.

Upvote 0
I have a question. Why? Don't get me wrong, I'm all about high quality music. Right now I'm listening to flac's that were ripped with eac with every setting configured for the best quality and accuracy. That is being played back using bit-perfect output over a spdif cable to my reciver that's powering a pair of Canton Ergo 22 DC's.

I just don't understand the need for this with a phone, or any portable mp3 player. What headphones are you going to be using? Will you be listening in a controlled environment? Is the extra bulk worth it?

That being said, AFAIK there is noting in the USB spec that would allow you to do this without a lot of extra hardware on the other side. And I don't even know if USB has enough bandwidth to handle super high quality uncompressed digital audio like that.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones