• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Disabling 2G/GSM

Hey all
Brand new Hero (completely sim-free :) owner for 22 hours. Updated with new firmware etc.

First thing I want to do is disable 2G/GSM and only use 3G/UMTS - I'm in central London and I have no need of swapping between the 2G/3G networks wasting battery. I can only disable 3G in settings.

I can't search these forums for "disable 2g" because "2g" is too short! "disable gsm" also nothing.

Google is also surprisingly light on results.
Anyone?

Ta!
Jim

Look to this thread: http://androidforums.com/htc-hero/10625-additional-phone-battery-info.html

In the 'phone info' menu within the testing settings, you can set preferred network type. Set it to WCDMA only, that should fix your problem. Though you may find then in some areas with low signal, that you just won't get a net connection at all.

Cannot believe I didn't spot that last time I looked at that menu.

Upvote 0
Look to this thread: http://androidforums.com/htc-hero/10625-additional-phone-battery-info.html

In the 'phone info' menu within the testing settings, you can set preferred network type. Set it to WCDMA only, that should fix your problem. Though you may find then in some areas with low signal, that you just won't get a net connection at all.

Cannot believe I didn't spot that last time I looked at that menu.

That is precisely the info I needed!
I even saw that post earlier but didn't go as far as putting the code in and looking at all these extra numbers, and all the way down the bottom are some really interesting options :)

Now all I need is to work out a shortcut to that setting for when I visit the folks out in the sticks with no 3G.

Consolidated answer for anyone searching for this in the future:

Press "phone" and dial: *#*#4636#*#* (4636 spells INFO)

This will take you to the testing menu.
Select "Phone information", and all the way down the bottom you will see "Set preferred network type".

WCDMA means UMTS/3G (also HSDPA depending on availability)
GSM means GPRS/2.5G (also EDGE/2.75G depending on availability - only on O2 in UK)

My phone also has "Unknown" as an option, which is a bit odd......

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones