• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root DL30 Touchwiz Froyo at xda

I'm just gonna go ahead and say it.

This DL30 is NOT ready for PrimeTime. Buggy as all get out, just trying to install or uninstall apps is a nightmare - the entire phone keeps locking on the install process, or if it does go thru (just the first couple did) it won't UNinstall. Package installer keeps freezing. Market is spotty as hell (and why is it back to the old one). Look at the headers in task manager - notice the blue "burst" coming from the right side? Yep the whole bar is mis-aligned by about 1/32". Letters on the keypad are wrong. The whole thing just feels "shaky" and I can't trust this phone with DL30 on it. Not even for the simplest things.

Constant freezing and locking up.

And yes, data has been wiped (more times than I can count, every single way possible). Phone has been completely wiped, restored to DL09 stock, flashed with new DL30_leak.zip (downloaded from 3 separate mirrors and hash-checked), new CWM, everything has been done - I'm no noob at this stuff.

No matter what I do - package installer freezes. The entire phone locks up about every 5 minutes and becomes completely unresponsive. Gmail is hit or miss. Mostly miss on my end, every once in a while I'll get it to pull up and then it freezes. Even stock apps are behaving badly. And no, I have NOT restored any backups (Titanium or otherwise) - tried that the first go round and everything went into a FC loop.

And this is the 3rd time I've wiped and re-installed. When I revert back to Adryn's 12/30 UV non-voodoo kernel and my "safe" DL09 nandroid backup - my phone is pure, blazing fast DL09 goodness. As soon as I try to load DL30 - it becomes almost useless.

I had a pretty good idea that this was alphaware - but I tried b/c I knew I had a solid DL09 nandroid to fall back on. And that's exactly what I'll be doing until a couple tested and bug-fixed versions are released. I give nothing but props to the guys who put this out, and I know fully the risks involved with alpha/betaware. I was hoping for a little more polished "out of the box" FroYo experience. Not to be at the moment. Now we start to see why FroYo hasn't been pushed to the SF yet.

It's not ready. If VZW were to push this version it would be a support nightmare. I'm wiping (AGAIN) and going back to my uv'd, totally smokin' DL09 for a week or so until this gets worked out. I'm sure it will, but folks if you are even a BIT hesitant about doing this, I strongly recommend you wait until either a tested and proven version is out, and/or VZW releases it officially. Save yourself the headache and keep a working phone. Or, get really really good and restoring nandroid backups and re-flashing kernels!!!

Upvote 0

This DL30 is NOT ready for PrimeTime. Buggy as all get out, just trying to install or uninstall apps is a nightmare - the entire phone keeps locking on the install process, or if it does go thru (just the first couple did) it won't UNinstall. Package installer keeps freezing. Market is spotty as hell (and why is it back to the old one). Look at the headers in task manager - notice the blue "burst" coming from the right side? Yep the whole bar is mis-aligned by about 1/32". Letters on the keypad are wrong. The whole thing just feels "shaky" and I can't trust this phone with DL30 on it. Not even for the simplest things.

And yes, data has been wiped (more times than I can count, every single way possible). Phone has been completely wiped, restored to DL09 stock, flashed with new DL30_leak.zip (downloaded from 3 separate mirrors and hash-checked), new CWM, everything has been done - I'm no noob at this stuff.

No matter what I do - package installer freezes. The entire phone locks up about every 5 minutes and becomes completely unresponsive. Gmail is hit or miss. Mostly miss on my end, every once in a while I'll get it to pull up and then it freezes. Even stock apps are behaving badly. And no, I have NOT restored any backups (Titanium or otherwise) - tried that the first go round and everything went into a FC loop.

And this is the 3rd time I've wiped and re-installed. When I revert back to Adryn's 12/30 UV non-voodoo kernel and my "safe" DL09 nandroid backup - my phone is pure, blazing fast DL09 goodness. As soon as I try to load DL30 - it becomes almost useless.

I had a pretty good idea that this was alphaware - but I tried b/c I knew I had a solid DL09 nandroid to fall back on. And that's exactly what I'll be doing until a couple tested and bug-fixed versions are released. I give nothing but props to the guys who put this out, and I know fully the risks involved with alpha/betaware. I was hoping for a little more polished "out of the box" FroYo experience. Not to be at the moment. Now we start to see why FroYo hasn't been pushed to the SF yet.

It's not ready. If VZW were to push this version it would be a support nightmare. I'm wiping (AGAIN) and going back to my uv'd, totally smokin' DL09 for a week or so until this gets worked out. I'm sure it will, but folks if you are even a BIT hesitant about doing this, I strongly recommend you wait until either a tested and proven version is out, and/or VZW releases it officially. Save yourself the headache and keep a working phone. Or, get really really good and restoring nandroid backups and re-flashing kernels!!!

sorry to hear that...i just finished flashing the SuperClean DL30...and i'm restoring my apps...so far all seems well...

Upvote 0

I would think either you did something wrong during the process or you are just having some bad luck. I haven't had any freezing like that, maybe once or twice but that is about normal.

Everything seems pretty good for me.

Upvote 0
so busyyy don't have much time to research and install this... but I'm going to lean towards ADRY's super clean 2.2 DL30!

so is this recommended or not? im still on DH12, is there any particular version thats stable right now?
Boyz if you have used any of the super clean series dating back to when it was made by jt1134 this is good stuff. Im on it and vouche for it. jamesnmandy if you are DH12 you will need to odin on either the DJ05 modem or the DL09

Upvote 0
Boyz if you have used any of the super clean series dating back to when it was made by jt1134 this is good stuff. Im on it and vouche for it. jamesnmandy if you are DH12 you will need to odin on either the DJ05 modem or the DL09

ive been out of the loop, is there a step by step guide to this upgrade path? i dont even know if im rooted or not anymore, i think i might be

Upvote 0
Monkey Grass which DL30 are/were you on because there are 3-4 out

Guys, I got everything squared away. There is some sort of corruption in my gCal sync. If I leave Sync Calendar checked under acct/sync settings, everything freezes, Market quits working and all gApps go haywire.

When I un-check it, everything works great (except for a recurring black screen/lockup issue I've been having since SC .8).

I am now running SuperClean .9 - it works brilliantly and I just saw that Adryn posted up 1.0.

It's a little laggy overall (stock kernel, ugh. Man are we spoiled by the devs!) but a good start.

I will still stand by my prediction that this is NOT a version that is going to be released. It's fairly stable, but a couple things left out and weirdness here and there still indicate to me that this is a high-level beta/RC build that we are working with.

Upvote 0
Guys, I got everything squared away. There is some sort of corruption in my gCal sync. If I leave Sync Calendar checked under acct/sync settings, everything freezes, Market quits working and all gApps go haywire.

When I un-check it, everything works great (except for a recurring black screen/lockup issue I've been having since SC .8).

I am now running SuperClean .9 - it works brilliantly and I just saw that Adryn posted up 1.0.

It's a little laggy overall (stock kernel, ugh. Man are we spoiled by the devs!) but a good start.

I will still stand by my prediction that this is NOT a version that is going to be released. It's fairly stable, but a couple things left out and weirdness here and there still indicate to me that this is a high-level beta/RC build that we are working with.
Good to hear it, I know you were getting frustrated. FWIW, I also find the launcher included with Superclean to be slower than LP the way I dial it in. I always set everything in LP to open as fast as possible. Also grab the app spare parts and use the fastest animation speeds

Reactions: MonkeyGrass
Upvote 0
Good to hear it, I know you were getting frustrated. FWIW, I also find the launcher included with Superclean to be slower than LP the way I dial it in. I always set everything in LP to open as fast as possible. Also grab the app spare parts and use the fastest animation speeds

Yeah I've been going around and around with this. Spare parts is one of the first apps to go on my phone to control those window animations! Love that app.

Good news is - I finally bit the bullet, backed up my gCalendar (with all fingers and toes crossed) and then wiped it clean.

I did that while I was flashing a ROM so there were no active android clients attempting to sync. I signed into my Google acct on the phone, and BAM now my calendar sync works again. I realized (ah hindsight) that I had a couple of "recurring to infinity" weekly appointments that were probably hanging up the sync with a loop of appointments that never end...

So regardless, I re-imported my .ical file after a successful sync, changed the offending events to stop recurring after about 6 months, and then re-synced with the phone.

I HAVE A CALENDAR AGAIN!! And no more gApps weirdness. ;)

I also found out about the new non-voodoo red CWM and switched over the that. Reflashed, and so far so good. I'll have to see if that recurring sleep-bug rears it's ugly head on SC 1.0, but I've had the full DL30_Leak running for over 6 hours with no lockups or issues. I will now see if I can reach that level of stability with SC 1.0 and if I can, well I'll be one happy Monkey!!! :D

Thanks to everyone, especially Saps and Nitsuj!

Upvote 0
Yeah I've been going around and around with this. Spare parts is one of the first apps to go on my phone to control those window animations! Love that app.

Good news is - I finally bit the bullet, backed up my gCalendar (with all fingers and toes crossed) and then wiped it clean.

I did that while I was flashing a ROM so there were no active android clients attempting to sync. I signed into my Google acct on the phone, and BAM now my calendar sync works again. I realized (ah hindsight) that I had a couple of "recurring to infinity" weekly appointments that were probably hanging up the sync with a loop of appointments that never end...

So regardless, I re-imported my .ical file after a successful sync, changed the offending events to stop recurring after about 6 months, and then re-synced with the phone.

I HAVE A CALENDAR AGAIN!! And no more gApps weirdness. ;)

I also found out about the new non-voodoo red CWM and switched over the that. Reflashed, and so far so good. I'll have to see if that recurring sleep-bug rears it's ugly head on SC 1.0, but I've had the full DL30_Leak running for over 6 hours with no lockups or issues. I will now see if I can reach that level of stability with SC 1.0 and if I can, well I'll be one happy Monkey!!! :D

Thanks to everyone, especially Saps and Nitsuj!

glad to hear your experience with dl30 has been a lot better as of late :)

hopefully superclean 1.0 works out for ya!

Upvote 0
Great post Monkey Grass so glad you've enjoying SC 1.0 same thing Im on and most of us methinks. Once dialed in as Im sure you're finding out its a nice deal. The fact that adryn hasnt updated 1.0 probably means [in addition to him taking a deserved break] he's getting few complaints. So this should be kinda stable moving forward. We all can probably relax now and enjoy it till the official is out and we maybe move to a EB01 rom...and the some jt built voodoo kernels...and then some nemesis2all OC/UV voodoo...and then some GB which is doing a lot more than booting it sounds like...but one thing at a time

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones