• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help DNA goes into partial sleep when screen is off

CrackedLCD

Jan 17, 2013
LA (Lower Alabama)
goo.gl
A while back in one of the other threads on here I mentioned that my wifi and mobile data seem to go off when the phone's been idle for a while. It's especially bad after about 8 pm or when the battery is below ~75%.

This sounds like something a battery extending program might do, but I don't have any on my phone and have never downloaded anything like that! I've gone through and disabled programs that I thought might be affecting the sleep state and even went back to the stock launcher for a while. Nothing seems to help it.

More recently, I've begun using Bluetooth on my PC again and tonight I've been trying to stream audio from the phone to the PC (the PC is so old it won't stream anything while doing any other task, so using the phone gets around that problem.) But if I turn the screen off, the audio sputters and quits after about a minute. The BT connection is fine. It's the stream that's getting interrupted. I'm turning it back on and seeing "Buffering..." and it's done this on three different streaming apps now. If I play local music, it doesn't appear to skip. I've listened to plenty of podcasts and music with the screen off with no issues. So this is some sort of CPU/data issue.

Surely I can't be the only one to have this issue? I hate the thought of doing a factory reset and starting over, as I've got over 100 apps on the phone and reloading them and reconfiguring Go Launcher would be such a pain in the buttocks. I don't think it would help as this problem began to come up long before I got so much stuff on the phone.

There seem to be plenty of apps out there like JuiceDefender to turn things off to save battery, but nowhere can I find the option to keep data and wifi active when the screen is off.

There's "Keep wifi on during sleep" which is set to Always, but on or off it has no effect on anything.

There's "Best wifi performance" which is checked right now, but on or off it doesn't make a bit of difference to anything, either.

Of course, none of this fixes the mobile data going away, either.

I don't make or receive calls so missing those isn't a big deal. But I do get app notifications and text messages through Google Voice, and those DO get held back when there's no data. So it is becoming something of an issue. Short of checking the phone every 10 minutes or so, there isn't any obvious solution.

And to make matters more mysterious, there was a period in January that lasted about three weeks where the wifi and 4G never shut off at all!

It's a real head scratcher. I've checked the list of running apps and cached processes regularly and nothing out of the ordinary ever shows up. Other than some mysterious HTC processes like "HTC Services", "DLNAMiddleLayer" or the even more generic "Google Services" I just don't see what could be acting up.

I feel like there's something simple at work (like me misinterpreting some option somewhere or a widget that only works under Sense) but I'll be darned if I can find it at the moment. Any ideas?

I experience similar issues, but I think it has to do with the way that the DNA handles its battery levels while on standby. I've never tried it myself but you can try going to settings-->display-->sleep-->never and seeing if that will help.

That only changes how long the display itself stays on before it times out. I have different timeouts depending on where I am (2 minutes in the car, 10 minutes at home) and it doesn't make a difference either way as to when the data shuts off.

Upvote 0
I'm bumping this because this is exactly the problem I have and am curious if any fix is known.

I emailed HTC about this (prior to any Google searching) and they recommended:
1) get a new SIM (done, was never an issue for me as described in the sticky SIM thread)
2) flash cache. (Done, it made it seem right for some time, but as was pointed out it only does it around a certain battery life. Never noticed that, but it is certainly the case for me too.)
3) factory reset (not yet attempted)

In terms of battery performance, I can get a good 2 days off of my phone (not much of an avid user, I have it check my email, phone calls, and check MLB scores).

With regards to the timeout depending on location, I've yet to notice it down while I'm out around town, only at my house. Turning WiFi off keeps it up for longer than with it on, and as I use maybe 200mb per cycle, I just leave WiFi off the whole time in hopes my phone tells me I have mail or a text.

If there's any more info you'd like me to pull off my phone, I can post that too. Would rather avoid a reset. I checked for a software update prior to posting and it says I'm up to date.

Any help is much appreciated.

Upvote 0
I had this all typed out before some bad finger movements deleted it all, so I'll put it in a briefer format.

I've never downloaded or even tried a batter extending app.
The only apps I can think of possibly causing it I have would be Lookout, Advanced Task Killer, or LTE on/off(uninstalled).

Looking through the settings of them, I doubt it's their doing. A factory reset doesn't nearly hurt me as bad as most people (only installed 10 apps), but I still would rather avoid it.

This is just a quick question regarding factory reset- if I back up my data then factory reset and put it back on, what's saved and what's reset?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones