• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Do all kernels kill battery life?

All of the King's 2.6.32.15 kernels have HAVS. Are you using the conservative governor? I could have sworn that my battery life was worse after I took off profiles but after further testing the change proved worthwhile.

Here are my SetCPU setting

snap20100916_094133.png
snap20100916_091606.png

Upvote 0
Here are my SetCPU setting

snap20100916_094133.png
snap20100916_091606.png

Try turning off the profiles and selecting conservative as your governor. You will immediately start noticing better performance. Battery life will probably take some testing to confirm...

On a side note, I am surprised you are able to underclock to 128Mhz. I think alot of people use 245Mhz as the lowest frequency since the EVO becomes quite unstable at 128Mhz for most users.

Upvote 0
people fall asleep before takeoff and leave their phones on all the time. Or it's left on in a carry-on. We're not seeing planes falling out of the sky left and right because of this :)

The main reason is because at that altitude your cellphone can interact with MANY MANY towers. Not just your local ones. So instead of overloading their system with phones that talk to 100 or so towers vs 3 or so they lobbied for no phones on airplanes.

Upvote 0
OK, been testing over the past couple of days. Tried watching the kings 9 kernel for a day and disnt make it that long! Charged back up and slapped on a a Fresh 3.2 rom and battery life is comparable to stock rom with stock kernel, maybe a little better. I have been using my phone quite a bit throughout the day yesterday and today with some tethering, quite a bit of web surfing, playing imobsters, and email/texting throughout the day. First cycle was 16 hours from 100% to 20% second cycle with same type of usage got 14 hours to 20%. I am using SetCPU with the exact profiles as before. The difference between fresh 3.2 and stock rom with SetCPU is the "set on boot" actually sticks on fresh where it did not with stock. So far today I am 9 hours unplugged and have 40% battery left.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones