• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Do lags still exist in S3?

whatever61

May 31, 2012
Hello all,

My Galaxy Note with Android 4.0 have 1-2 secs lag almost everywhere the first time I open it.

For example, when opening HOME, SMS, dialer.
I do use a different launcher, sms and a dialer, but even if I don't there's same problem (or even worse with the dialer).
Most annoying is an incoming call, the ring starts and only after 2-3 secs I see the screen lighten up to see who is actually calling!
These problems occur mostly the first time I open, afterwards. It also feels like the lag is between my touch and between the execution of the action.
I don't use auto memory cleaners.

I have two questions regarding this:
1. Is there an app that can give me a breakdown of stuff that is going when I'm opening a dialer for example? What is actually being processed and how much time it takes for every process to complete.
2. Is S3/Note 2 any better in this, since it has better hardware or is it completely a software issue?

Upvote 0
I don't have those devices so you probably would get better answers from people who do (and why Lilbit suggested asking in those forums). I do/did have other Samsung devices and TouchWiz can put a bit of a load on Android. The hardware is capable but I've always found better performance from Samsung devices with a custom ROM.

I'm not sure if there is an app that logs the load on Android for any specific function. For example, if you happen to be syncing your gmail at the time you open the dialer, it wouldn't log only those processes triggered by the dialer. You could try Watchdog or logcat, but you'll have to do a bit of digging to figure it out.

Reactions: ocnbrze and LilBit
Upvote 0
Also, how much free RAM do you have approximately out of the 2GB? On my Note (1GB) it's never more than 300MB, sometimes gets to about 100MB also..

I have about 400MB free and 1.1GB used. Having more free RAM isn't going to make your phone run faster. Android manages resources and if there is a lot of free RAM available, Android will find ways to use it up. Generally, it anticipates what apps you may want to use in the future and loads them in ahead of time taking up RAM, so that when you need to use those apps, they launch faster.

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
Well, my gf got a S3 yesterday and it is laggy in some cases:

Opening the contact list is VERY LAGGY. takes about 5-6 seconds. Yes, I connected it to FB and LinkedIn and Google account, but I show only the one's from Google account and even to open the favorite contacts takes the same time as opening the whole list. Total fail imho.

When pressing the home button, there's still a 0.5 sec delay, which is also a bit annoying (simply doesn't feel smooth). As for the rest it's awesome and faster and than the Note 1.

Upvote 0
Well, my gf got a S3 yesterday and it is laggy in some cases:

Opening the contact list is VERY LAGGY. takes about 5-6 seconds. Yes, I connected it to FB and LinkedIn and Google account, but I show only the one's from Google account and even to open the favorite contacts takes the same time as opening the whole list. Total fail imho.

When pressing the home button, there's still a 0.5 sec delay, which is also a bit annoying (simply doesn't feel smooth). As for the rest it's awesome and faster and than the Note 1.

I made a YouTube video of my experience using several applications for this thread. I didn't open my contact list for obvious reasons, unless you guys really wanna call my friends and tell them how unhelpful I am.

The Browser test at the end is not what I see, the screen tearing at the end where I'm browsing to this topic is a bug of the recording software. Maybe I should've scrolled a little slower. Also when I open the Be Weather application I see the animation of the current weather conditions but the screen recording software didn't catch it.

Galaxy S3 i9300 lag test Jelly Bean 4.1.2 17th April 2013 - YouTube

Upvote 0
I made a YouTube video of my experience using several applications for this thread. I didn't open my contact list for obvious reasons, unless you guys really wanna call my friends and tell them how unhelpful I am.

The Browser test at the end is not what I see, the screen tearing at the end where I'm browsing to this topic is a bug of the recording software. Maybe I should've scrolled a little slower. Also when I open the Be Weather application I see the animation of the current weather conditions but the screen recording software didn't catch it.

Galaxy S3 i9300 lag test Jelly Bean 4.1.2 17th April 2013 - YouTube

Thanks for the clip. However, was interesting for me to see the contacts list, how many seconds it takes to open. you don't actually need to record anything, you can just tell me how much time it takes (btw, it doesn't show the phone numbers, so we wouldn't call your friends and even if it would, we wouldn't call them either =) ).

For the rest it's not laggy.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the clip. However, was interesting for me to see the contacts list, how many seconds it takes to open. you don't actually need to record anything, you can just tell me how much time it takes (btw, it doesn't show the phone numbers, so we wouldn't call your friends and even if it would, we wouldn't call them either =) ).

For the rest it's not laggy.

I pressed the stock contacts program icon and counted how many seconds it took to open up and it was 3 seconds & then all contacts showed instantly. I have just under 900 contacts, but many of them don't have profile pictures of their faces, performance may be a little different if the stock contacts application has to load all the profile pictures.

Upvote 0
Actually, the slow contacts app has more to do with the contacts app than the phone itself. The touchwiz contacts app was always been slow. I have an S3 mini, and the stock contacts app opens in 5 secs, but if I use a 3rd party contacts app like aDialer or TouchPal, they're way faster.

There's also a home button delay because it waits if you want a double press (to wake up S-Voice), a long press (for recent apps) or you just pressed once for actual home function. Its not a lag, its designed that way from the start.

Upvote 0
Wow, indeed I disabled the S-voice on double click and the home button is MUCH faster!

I remember that on Galaxy note I tried different contact managers, but most of them still were laggy and some had problems showing LinkedIn and Facebook photos on contacts, which I find really awesome.

Can you maybe advise on a specific address book?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones