Do you bump charge?General

Last Updated:

1. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

do you charge, then tun off the phone and charge til green? Or do you charge, turn off and charge til green, unplug and plug back in, and repeat?? I've tried both and honestly I think it may last longer with the charge, turn off and charge and then stop.

does repeatedly bumping it to green 3, 4 or even 5 time hurt the battery?

Advertisement
  2. BetaMan

BetaMan Well-Known Member

No. Lithium Ion likes to stay charged.

3. Ecks

Ecks Well-Known Member

I bump charged my extended verizon battery the first few days I had it, but now I don't even bother. Even without bumping, I get a day and a half atleast (heavy game-playing). On average, 2 days of use so long as I'm not burning the battery on Sudoku :p

4. necosino

necosino Well-Known Member

We bump on average 5-7x a week; been like that over a year now :)

For my phone, I bump every time I charge, and with the extended 2150mAh batteries I have, that's only twice a week :) (or Once a week if I switch batteries)

5. JuicyJones

JuicyJones Well-Known Member

I bump charge every time I charge, but its more-so that my drunk friends don't call and wake me up at 3am. So I usually charge my phone while its powered off.

But I did try the shut off while charging until light turns green, power back on, shut off & charge again technique and I seemed to get less battery life than I did when I simply turned my phone off while charging.

6. sta7ic

sta7ic Well-Known Member

I dont bump, i just use a battery charger for a TP2 that i got on ebay.

7. yojoe600

yojoe600 Well-Known Member

im too lazy to bump charge but i still get a day

8. jrmckins

jrmckins Well-Known Member

My advice is to keep that pace as long as possible ...

9. jayjay1122

jayjay1122 Well-Known Member

I only bump charged a few times! Once I realized that my battery would easily last over 24 hours without it I stopped. Now I take it off charge when I leave for work and plug it in when I go to bed (if it is under 50%).

10. jbh00jh

jbh00jh Well-Known Member

Even though I have a 2150 mAh batt , I put it on the charger at night when I go to bed. Can't hurt to be at 100% when you leave in the morning. I really have had enough juice during the day and evening , so I really don't need to bump charge with this batt.

11. bajaboy

bajaboy Well-Known Member

i thought it was bad to be left on the charger overnight? (being the battery only take 2-4hrs to charge fully)

12. TokedUp

TokedUp Well-Known Member

I charge my phone right before sleep when its on, then turn it off when its full. When I wake up I plug it in while its still off and its ready when i leave the house. I do this almost every day.

13. jbh00jh

jbh00jh Well-Known Member

It has been on the charger overnight since I got it in April and both still work fine ( both the original batt and the extended batt ).

14. jj3699

jj3699 Well-Known Member

+1

15. atakin77

atakin77 Well-Known Member

I don't turn off the phone when I bump charge. I do it several times a week if I remember. Usually I will unplug the the phone for a few minutes, use it for a couple of things, and the battery % will drop to 93%-95%. I will plug it in for a few minutes to bump up the charge and go.

I did remove Taskiller, and since then my battery life has been considerably better, even when using apps like Golf Logix or Golfcard that are usually pretty heavy on the battery. Played 18 holes the other day and had 80% left on the battery. Big change from when I used to have to swap batteries at the turn...

16. pirate943

pirate943 Well-Known Member

if i know i wont be around a charger for a day, but in my normal routine im always around a charger (home/work/car) so i dont bother.

17. jayefef

jayefef Well-Known Member

If i have time that day yes I do. But still get about a day without it

18. ngsm13

ngsm13 Well-Known Member

I turn off my phone every night when I go to bed, and charge overnight with phone off. Seems to be a more complete charge to me, and lasts longer than charging with the phone on...

nG

19. dragonsamus

dragonsamus Well-Known Member

I bump charge every chance I get but since having the 2150 i don't do it anymore. I would recommend doing it with the 1300 and 1500 batteries.

20. Celerity

Celerity Member

No. I get through a day on the standard battery no problem with a decent amount of Pandora and browsing. I don't play a lot of games.

21. sabrewings

sabrewings Well-Known Member

No, they don't. At least not fully. Lithium Ions like to stay at 50%.

As for the OP's question on whether repeatedly plugging until green hurts it, this is hard to say. I'm thinking about finding an Incredible that will repeatedly go amber when unplugging (I have yet to see on in person that does that more than once when off) and using a multimeter to find out if the repeated bumping is actually over charging the battery past its 4.2v limit or if the Incredible charging circuitry is programmed second rate.

22. Rechard

Rechard Member

One thing I've noticed about my bump charging antics: I recently read about using a lamp timer to do the bump charging for you while you sleep. I tried this but noticed that if the phone is off at the start, when the timer kills the power to the charger........the phone wakes up. So then the rest of the bump cycles are with the phone on. It's weird.....if you unplug the charging cord from the phone....the phone will stay off. If you unplug the charger from the wall but leave the cord attached to the phone.....the phone will wake up.

23. Old Member

Old Member Well-Known Member

Yes. If I have the time to bump until green, I get more than 24 hours. I bump to the 1st green everyday. Without it I get less than 12 hours charge. With it, I get 15-18 hours charge.

24. Medion

Medion Well-Known Member

Don't need to. I have two batteries and a Seidio battery charger. The bump charge is due to a software issue in the Incredible itself, so I don't charge the "phone." I have one battery in the phone, and one in the Seidio cradle charger. I swap batteries as needed, usually every 36-48 hours, but if I had heavy use, I'll swap the next morning.

25. Old Member

Old Member Well-Known Member

I have 3 batteries also. I have the 2150, and two 1350 factory batteries. I have a wall charger as well. The problem is I have a snap on "fade to black" case and I don't like prying it on and off all the time. I'm afraid it will break if I do.