1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Do you divulge your PIN to VM customer care?

1. MacFett

MacFett Well-Known Member

I sent a help request to Customer Care regarding the frequent 104 error on the Optimus Elite. Their response was:

I'm rather bothered they would even ask for my PIN much less to tell me they can't help me without it and I let them know as much. I would understand asking for it if you had a PIN and an account password, but it is your password.

Have you in the past give them your PIN? Why or why not.

Advertisement
    :
  2. kct1975

kct1975 Well-Known Member

While I am not with Virgin Mobile, I cannot answer really.

I would like to offer some advice about PIN numbers and passwords....

Even if the e-mail you reference is from Virgin Mobile, personally, I would not send your PIN number or Password in an e-mail. If they really need your account info, I would call a valid Virgin Mobile Customer Service number and only give your account information over the phone.
  3. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female Guide

^^ This.

100% agree.
  4. nfs13epic

nfs13epic Well-Known Member Contributor

You have to give them your pin, Its not like there going to steal your account lols. There in India your account is useless over there.
  5. OverByter

OverByter Resident Slide Rule Guru

They require it for troubleshooting, without it they have no way off accessing your account info to see if there is a billing or provisioning problem on your account. As far as your particular error, have you tried running a hotspot on your phone? I know on the FB page people that have tried it with the Elite have run into numerous hard data lockups, many requiring a phone replacement to correct.
  6. MacFett

The error for hotspot is 67 and no I have not.

I have had Blizzard troubleshoot my account without having to know my password. Same with Sony and many other companies. If their system is setup that way that is piss poor. Every other company tells you, "Our employees will never ask for your password."

And if viewing the account does require PIN access then there should be a password used to log in to the account for the customer.
    Petrah likes this.
  7. 350X

350X Well-Known Member

In their case, I bet they don't have a master control access system, they just log in with your info, as they are a call center for 50 different places in one, or not even a call center, just a person with a cell phone ;) [that no reservations show in india, had a guy driving their 3wheel motobike cab, while he took sprint customer service calls on his cell]

Though Id post your question on the VM USA facebook page, they seem to be johnny on the spot and they should have a good corp script sheet answer just waiting for you hehehehe
    CRISPY2104 likes this.
  8. Petrah

No, I don't have to give them my pin via email.
  9. MacFett

Let me know what they say if you do post. I don't have a facebook account.
  10. Petrah

Sorry to derail.. MacFett do you still Wow?
  11. 350X

350X Well-Known Member

FB > "Virgin Mobile USA Hi, we cannot access your account to assist you without you verifying your account. Whenever you call in or email us we will ask for your cell number and account pin. ^Aleeah B."
  12. Petrah

No one is debating that. What we are saying, however, is that they shouldn't need to ask for it (pin). It's shitty security. They can very well implement other means to verify the legitimacy of an account owner.
  13. MacFett

This is my point there are many other ways for them to verify the account such as a password as well as the pin one to login with and one to give to customer service. We had an IT company fired from a company I worked because they continually asked employees for their passwords because it was easier for them then to do it correctly.

No, not really. I log in every now and again but my server is dead (Onxyia).
  14. Petrah

If yer Alliance, willing to hop servers, and interested in raiding send me a PM.
  15. MacFett

I could do 1 of the 3. Goblin4lyfe!
  16. Petrah

Well no wonder. See, I paid Jerry to install bugs in BACKside that only affect the Horde.

/snicker
    MacFett likes this.
  17. atraum

atraum Well-Known Member

What I find even more ridiculous is the fact that when you change your pin VM sends you a text not only indicating you changed it but what you changed it to. Really?!? You just sent me a text to my phone number (which is used as your username) with the actual pin? Ha...security at its finest!
  18. MacFett

They no longer text to what it was changed, I just changed mine because a payment was added to my account and then my month was restarted 2 days after it automatically started.

The text I received merely stated that my PIN was changed.
  19. atraum

atraum Well-Known Member

Don't know...I received an email indicating it was changed and then quite some time later a text indicating what it was changed to...
  20. Petrah

This. ^

I changed mine recently (when I updated my new address), and the text I received merely stated it was changed. The text did not include what I changed it to.
  21. Vm & Bm they both ask for ur pins always if they dont its something wrong some were cause they need it when u need troubleshooting replacements anything because the one reason they ask is because they need to know if its ur account or not
  22. Petrah

There are other means to verify an account other than asking for the account password. A few are: the last 4 digits on your credit card (if you have one), the first and last name on the account, the alternate phone number, parts of the home address, birthday etc. etc. etc. Generally no major company will ever ever ever ask you for your password.
  23. kct1975

kct1975 Well-Known Member

:dito:

Also, as I mentioned previously, if Virgin Mobile is required to have either your PIN or your password to trouble-shoot, I would only do so over the phone on a valid Virgin Mobile customer service number.

The reason is the e-mail is not secure unless it is encrypted, like corporate e-mail.
    Petrah likes this.
  24. agentc13

agentc13 Daleks Über Alles VIP Member

Exactly.
    :D

Until they tell you to reset the phone, which would then cause you to lose the call since you are using said phone...
    Happened to me once, and they said I had to call back using another phone. Luckily I could use my wife's phone, but if you don't have that option, it's annoying.
  25. chris1966

chris1966 New Member

no its not. they have that info on their screen. you are not telling them something they dont already have access to. They just want to make sure they are speaking with the account holder