• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Do you think it is good (ethically speaking) taking local people's work?

M

Member243850

I have recently had quite a lot of interest from pretty big companies looking at my profile recently from over seas.

There have been in particular a lot of Netherland companies looking at my profile and a lot of British companies as well in particular because of the high amount of oil production (for the Netherlands in particular).

What is very nice (for me) about the Netherlands is because the Afrikaaners were Dutch settlers I actually speak the original Dutch (Afrikaans is actually the untouched / preserved Dutch from about 500 years ago) when the Dutch first came here... I have noticed though that Dutch has changed slightly over the centuries because my one neighbor down the road they call everything "tjies" (which means diminutive in Afrikaans / Original Dutch) so they are always calling everything small as if they live in a dwarf world :)

We would say "Tafel" (Table) however the Dutch say "Tafeltjie" (Little table :))

So language wise the Netherlands will not be a problem at all because I speak their language almost 99% the same (but I think why it is slightly different today is because the French and Spanish later conquered the Netherlands later and the language changed a slight bit over time very fascinating :)) so I can easily speak their language with relative ease but might have a hick cup here and there but no big deal.

So the Netherlands is a nice big comfortable plus for me language wise it will be very easy as I am fluent in Afrikaans / Dutch.

Also a few very big American companies for inspection have been eyeing me and looking at my profile not once - but the biggest one - about 3 or 4 times now I have seen in the last few months. The one big one looked at my profile I kid you not about 4 times in the last few months I would say which is a very good sign indeed.

Now what really got me is that there just doesn't seem to be enough qualified people over in certain 1st world countries (such as the Netherlands) ... and I was wondering what you think if I as a foreigner were to go work over seas.

There are a few issues with regards to... well.... "honor"... I don't want to start taking other people's work :/

It is about honor - I don't want to take other people's work - especially very young people that need experience badly in order to be legible for Level 3 Inspector which takes many years of both previous qualifications and experience just to be allowed to write the exam never mind pass it.

And remember this industry is not like other industries ... you can't just "make" work for yourself - nobody can just decide to build themselves a billion dollar refinery / power plant / nuclear just so they can give themselves work if you know what I am saying... it's just impossible... only the economy and natural resources surrounding the area will dictate this (as well as many other factors but those are the big ones).

What I find very fascinating is that the Netherlands (there have a lot of biggish companies looking at me over the last few months approximately form the Netherlands) does not seem to have any good amount of higher level inspectors like myself... thus the interest in my rare qualifications / skills... hmm it is interesting that they don't seem to have enough people over there I think... well this is what I must assume... at least.

My problem is I don't really feel comfortable taking other people's work... it just doesn't feel good at all :/

But on the other hand I don't want to stay here any more...... if this land grab act goes through this whole country is going to be completely ****ed and destroyed in no time.

I have already bought a lot of gold just in case the shit hits the fan and my rands become ****ing worthless like toilet paper... I hope there are too many complications and the constitution is almost impossible to change without changing millions of other constitutional rights... I think it will be very hard for them to easily amend the constitution as it will affect ****it loads of other laws / acts... and might be impossible for them to change it very soon might take many years if even that.

So do you think it is good to take other people's work? Or if there is nobody that is qualified in that region because supply cannot meet the high demand then surely I will be very good for the economy because I will fill a position that otherwise would have not have been easily able to have been filled relatively quick enough.

I am just wondering what your thoughts are on the ethics side because I don't really feel good about (possibly) taking a young inspector who is native to the country who needs experience badly and here I take his spot with my already round the block a few times already under my belt... it just doesn't really feel that good if you (maybe) know what I mean...

It is a matter of ethics I guess you could say.

But maybe I am just being stupid lol :)

What are your thoughts on this interesting matter?

Reactions: mikedt
I had a friend from Holland - Jan Roele.

Very educated, had hosteled all over EU before WW2, and had stories of his mother chasing Nazis out of the family garden. He was a cynic but since he thought a lot of what others think is hogwash. he got along very well with all. If you don't get involved in anything heavy like politics or religion, you should do well. Those subjects were all horse puckey according to Jan.

Reactions: Member243850
Upvote 0
I had a friend from Holland - Jan Roele.

Very educated, had hosteled all over EU before WW2, and had stories of his mother chasing Nazis out of the family garden. He was a cynic but since he thought a lot of what others think is hogwash. he got along very well with all. If you don't get involved in anything heavy like politics or religion, you should do well. Those subjects were all horse puckey according to Jan.

Yes that stuff is just a big waste of time I don't like politicians and I don't even like to talk to people about it because it just causes more and more problems for me and makes my life difficult. (unless incognito)

Even talking to people on this forum is a huge challenge never mind real life that is another dimension entirely.

I actually hate politics it makes me feel sick and people have a never ending list of opinions about everything and it can just be one big no no area to go even remotely start talking about.

But I just don't feel that good about taking a young man's job who is struggling to find a job it doesn't feel entirely good if you know what I mean. Feels a bit wrong in a way.

Being an outsider it wouldn't be that nice to take someone else work but if they don't have anybody that is qualified to do so then I guess it should be very good then and not bad at all :)

This is also why I don't want to be known on the internet any more there are so many crazy people out there that will ruin your life over nothing or over meaningless opinions - there are a lot of opinions these days hey.

Do you see why I don't want to be known at all any more? People are scary...

But I don't think its that bad if the country doesn't have enough qualified people to do the job thats what I find so interesting.

I don't think I should feel too bad hey what do you think? :)

If they don't have anybody then I shouldn't feel bad at all. I should actually feel very good for helping them out when none else could! :)

Upvote 0
I have recently had quite a lot of interest from pretty big companies looking at my profile recently from over seas.

There have been in particular a lot of Netherland companies looking at my profile and a lot of British companies as well in particular because of the high amount of oil production (for the Netherlands in particular).

What is very nice (for me) about the Netherlands is because the Afrikaaners were Dutch settlers I actually speak the original Dutch (Afrikaans is actually the untouched / preserved Dutch from about 500 years ago) when the Dutch first came here... I have noticed though that Dutch has changed slightly over the centuries because my one neighbor down the road they call everything "tjies" (which means diminutive in Afrikaans / Original Dutch) so they are always calling everything small as if they live in a dwarf world :)

We would say "Tafel" (Table) however the Dutch say "Tafeltjie" (Little table :))

So language wise the Netherlands will not be a problem at all because I speak their language almost 99% the same (but I think why it is slightly different today is because the French and Spanish later conquered the Netherlands later and the language changed a slight bit over time very fascinating :)) so I can easily speak their language with relative ease but might have a hick cup here and there but no big deal.

So the Netherlands is a nice big comfortable plus for me language wise it will be very easy as I am fluent in Afrikaans / Dutch.

Also a few very big American companies for inspection have been eyeing me and looking at my profile not once - but the biggest one - about 3 or 4 times now I have seen in the last few months. The one big one looked at my profile I kid you not about 4 times in the last few months I would say which is a very good sign indeed.

Now what really got me is that there just doesn't seem to be enough qualified people over in certain 1st world countries (such as the Netherlands) ... and I was wondering what you think if I as a foreigner were to go work over seas.

There are a few issues with regards to... well.... "honor"... I don't want to start taking other people's work :/

It is about honor - I don't want to take other people's work - especially very young people that need experience badly in order to be legible for Level 3 Inspector which takes many years of both previous qualifications and experience just to be allowed to write the exam never mind pass it.

And remember this industry is not like other industries ... you can't just "make" work for yourself - nobody can just decide to build themselves a billion dollar refinery / power plant / nuclear just so they can give themselves work if you know what I am saying... it's just impossible... only the economy and natural resources surrounding the area will dictate this (as well as many other factors but those are the big ones).

What I find very fascinating is that the Netherlands (there have a lot of biggish companies looking at me over the last few months approximately form the Netherlands) does not seem to have any good amount of higher level inspectors like myself... thus the interest in my rare qualifications / skills... hmm it is interesting that they don't seem to have enough people over there I think... well this is what I must assume... at least.

My problem is I don't really feel comfortable taking other people's work... it just doesn't feel good at all :/

But on the other hand I don't want to stay here any more...... if this land grab act goes through this whole country is going to be completely ****ed and destroyed in no time.

I have already bought a lot of gold just in case the shit hits the fan and my rands become ****ing worthless like toilet paper... I hope there are too many complications and the constitution is almost impossible to change without changing millions of other constitutional rights... I think it will be very hard for them to easily amend the constitution as it will affect ****it loads of other laws / acts... and might be impossible for them to change it very soon might take many years if even that.

So do you think it is good to take other people's work? Or if there is nobody that is qualified in that region because supply cannot meet the high demand then surely I will be very good for the economy because I will fill a position that otherwise would have not have been easily able to have been filled relatively quick enough.

I am just wondering what your thoughts are on the ethics side because I don't really feel good about (possibly) taking a young inspector who is native to the country who needs experience badly and here I take his spot with my already round the block a few times already under my belt... it just doesn't really feel that good if you (maybe) know what I mean...

It is a matter of ethics I guess you could say.

What are your thoughts on this interesting matter?

My thoughts are what does this has to do with Android devices and are you having any issues with a Android device considering that you are in Android Forums to eradicate any performance issues you're having with your device?

Upvote 0
Yes its got nothing to do with android devices was just wondering what you think about moving to another country and having the great privilege to work there thats all :)

Was just wondering because my mind was thinking :)

It is a great honour to be allowed to work in another country for such important projects.

Just don't know how good it feels if other people suffer because they can't find work thats all I was thinking to myself... but maybe I am being dumb though lol :)

Upvote 0

Not stupid, maybe a little overly sensitive and empathetic. If you are the best man for the job, should the company risk lives by giving preferential treatment to a less able person just because they were born closer to the plant?

FWIW, I doubt that any competent or eager person in the Netherlands is suffering because they can't find work. It's quite a nice and enlightened country (one of my favorites). A beautiful country filled with wonderful people. I wouldn't mind living there given the opportunity. (Good beer, too. :D)

Upvote 0
Not stupid, maybe a little overly sensitive and empathetic. If you are the best man for the job, should the company risk lives by giving preferential treatment to a less able person just because they were born closer to the plant?

FWIW, I doubt that any competent or eager person in the Netherlands is suffering because they can't find work. It's quite a nice and enlightened country (one of my favorites). A beautiful country filled with wonderful people. I wouldn't mind living there given the opportunity. (Good beer, too. :D)

Hey you thanks buddy! :D

Yes I think you are right maybe it might not be a bad idea at all and maybe I am being a tad too sensitive lol :)

I would love to go to the Netherlands!!! :D

They call everything diminutive though lol so that will be funny when we start talking haha :D

Yes I can be a very loving and emphatic person contrary to popular belief I am not always an angry harsh ogre :D

I only become an ogre when people start doing dangerous things.

But I really doubt I am going to get dodgey people over there I am quite confident it will be waaaaaaaaay smoother over there with almost zero Homers!! :D

Netherlands looks amazing! Won't even have to bother learning the language because I already know it! :D

It will be like paradise! :D

What I did find very interesting though is I wonder if they don't have enough qualified people in my line of work over there hmm that is very interesting hey isn't it? :)

But to be fair to get to my level you need years of experience to be able to do level 3 inspector as well as from a recognised mechincal engineering university that they will accept.

So it is impossible for them to get level 3 quickly as it takes years to train someone to get to that level.

Interesting how they might have a shortage hmm :)

Upvote 0

+1, I worked for a short time in the Netherlands, and I totally agree with your observations. I'd live there.
I also kind of liked Norway, but that place is so damn expensive. And cold.

Upvote 0

You'll have no worries about language problems. Well that's assuming they can understand your form of weird communication Stinky :) Just kidding!
But in fact the Dutch are multi-lingual, and most actually speak English better than us Brits. Not hard admittedly.
So can the Dutch native speakers understand your Afrikaans? I didn't realise those languages were so closely related.

Upvote 0

Actually it's honour.. "honor" is a brand of phones produced by Huawei. :p

I do, and I've been doing it for nine years now, i.e. teaching English in China. I feel totally comfortable and very good doing it.

Upvote 0
You'll have no worries about language problems. Well that's assuming they can understand your form of weird communication Stinky :) Just kidding!
But in fact the Dutch are multi-lingual, and most actually speak English better than us Brits. Not hard admittedly.
So can the Dutch native speakers understand your Afrikaans? I didn't realise those languages were so closely related.

Hehe no worries buddy! :D

Yes! There are some differences I have noticed though :)

For example my one neighbor who used to live down the road from me a while ago - he is from Holland and it is quite similar but there are some differences like the diminutive thing but it is minor I think.

That is one difference I know of and there are some tiny difference s here and there to Dutch and Afrikaans lol :)

Google is right when they say it's about 90% - 95% the same :)

That sounds about right lol :)

I don't know how I am going to handle the cold though I have been in very hot weather my whole life lol. :D

SO that's gonna be a bit of a challenge!

It's nice and easy for me language wise the Netherlands :)

Afrikaans is very close to Dutch but if you want a full 100% compatibility then the absolute perfect match for Afrikaans is Brussels!

Flemish is an absolute 100% match almost word for word to Afrikaans :D

Pretty cool huh? :)

Afrikaans is almost exactly how the Dutch language was about 500 years ago when they first came here and what is so fascinating is that Afrikaans is actually preserved Dutch just as it was so many centuries ago :)

Dutch in the Netherlands has changed a bit over the years I think that is because of Napoleon conquering the Netherlands as well as the Spanish this might explain the slight change over time I am not too sure though lol :)

When the Dutch call everything "tjies" "tjies" you know they just mean a normal size not the small size or diminutive like what we think lol :)

"Maar jy moet net vra vir duidelikheid as dit nodig is"

Hehe it will be a piece of cake for me! :D

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180517-095715.png
    Screenshot_20180517-095715.png
    135.4 KB · Views: 305
Upvote 0
I do, and I've been doing it for nine years now, i.e. teaching English in China. I feel totally comfortable and very good doing it.

But this is a very good thing! :D

Like almost nobody speaks English in China lol so they will be very happy to welcome you with open arms! :D

Thanks buddy I see your point! :D

I feel better now and not so bad maybe because they might not have anybody to fill the supply and demand so I should think of it that way like you say :)

With a smallish population in the Netherlands of about ~ 18 million I think they might not have enough qualified people there as that population is not massive kind of like Australia or something like that lol :)

The slightly smallish - mediumish size of the population is most probably a factor as well for the interest in me and other foreigners.

But just thinking to myself here lol :)

Upvote 0
But this is a very good thing! :D

Like almost nobody speaks English in China lol so they will be very happy to welcome you with open arms! :D

Thanks buddy I see your point! :D

I feel better now and not so bad maybe because they might not have anybody to fill the supply and demand so I should think of it that way like you say :)

Well basically I'm a guest of the government, which is to assist in China's economic development. :thumbsupdroid:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones