• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Do you think people are still working on cracking the bootloader??

spottyelephant

Android Enthusiast
Jul 31, 2009
Considering the official 2.2 rollout is going to take so ridiculously long, and also by the looks of things it will be our last official update, I think this is more important than ever.

Do you think there's still anyone working on trying to crack the bootloader, or is it a complete lost cause at this stage?

The droid still has a lot of life left in it purely because it's open - much like how the G1 has been limping along. But I can see the milestone fading into obscurity come february 2011 or so if it isn't cracked fully open..

What does anyone think?

With the release of the Droid 2, and the very likely situation that a Milestone 2 will come within the next 6-8 months, I seriously doubt anyone except the people that own a Milestone care anymore.

I doubt this will ever happen on the Milestone, plus with the modified ROM + base kernel option working, why would anyone look for a full kill on the bootloader when you don't need to?

Like honestly, who gives a **** about Cyanogen? What are they offering the average user that knows how to run flashes or other ROMs over the current Nandroid offerings? TelusStone is just as good. d3xter does great work on all his Nandroid flashes, I honestly couldn't care less if they lock every bootloader from today until the day Motorola goes bankrupt.

Upvote 0
With the release of the Droid 2, and the very likely situation that a Milestone 2 will come within the next 6-8 months, I seriously doubt anyone except the people that own a Milestone care anymore.

I doubt this will ever happen on the Milestone, plus with the modified ROM + base kernel option working, why would anyone look for a full kill on the bootloader when you don't need to?

Like honestly, who gives a **** about Cyanogen? What are they offering the average user that knows how to run flashes or other ROMs over the current Nandroid offerings? TelusStone is just as good. d3xter does great work on all his Nandroid flashes, I honestly couldn't care less if they lock every bootloader from today until the day Motorola goes bankrupt.

I use it exclusively and love it. I could care less about the boot loader! I've made my own customization from the ROM's available and have not had a better phone! Some things are never enough for people. They cry because they can. It's inevitable which I've learned real quick from people in forums and technology.

Upvote 0
Im happy with Motofrenzy. My only gripe is without customs kernels we cannot get core features such as apps to sd and also the camera doesn't work half the time. Also Custom kernels will allow for better battery life, Overclock without other applications and alot more optimization. So if its possible to load the Kexxec module everyone is trying to get working for the Droid x, Droid 2 it will be easily ported to the milestone So its a win win situatiom

Upvote 0
You can get apps2sd working using OpenRecovery, or so d3xter states in his MotoFrenzy / MotoSense threads.

Also, I don't know why you don't use TelusStone, the camera works perfectly. The Droid interface on the camera in MotoFrenzy is absolutely terrible compared to the stock camera on Eclair stock or TelusStone.

Upvote 0
You can get apps2sd working using OpenRecovery, or so d3xter states in his MotoFrenzy / MotoSense threads.

Also, I don't know why you don't use TelusStone, the camera works perfectly. The Droid interface on the camera in MotoFrenzy is absolutely terrible compared to the stock camera on Eclair stock or TelusStone.

Im taking about Native apps 2 sd. Also im not to worried about the camera. I said it would be nice. But honestly who's not hoping the bootloader is cracked? Honestly it will benefit everyone

Upvote 0
Actually I suppose that's very true - once the official milestone 2.2 ROM comes out, then the kernal will be available for the likes of D3xter etc to provide full proper ROMs with 2.2 features anyway.

I still think it would be nice though to not have to use the various workarounds that there currently are - would just make things that bit more tidy

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones