• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Dock for Galaxy S4 that works with OtterBox Defender?

I know it's probably a long shot but has anyone found a good dock for the galaxy s4 that works with an Otter Box Defender case?

The Samsung official one may or may not work from what I've gathered from Amazon and I haven't seen to many other docks for this phone.

I modified a universal dock (that attaches to my air vent) and it works fantastic. I will take pictures and post it tomorrow.

Basically, I use the Otterbox belt clip holder to attach to my modified dock. I flip the phone to face outward. And it looks nice and works very easy.

The ports are not blocked either.

Upvote 0
I modified a universal dock (that attaches to my air vent) and it works fantastic. I will take pictures and post it tomorrow.

Basically, I use the Otterbox belt clip holder to attach to my modified dock. I flip the phone to face outward. And it looks nice and works very easy.

The ports are not blocked either.

Here are my photos (with my Otterbox Defender case/belt clip) that is attached to my modified dock that I have mounted on my Corvette vent:

20gxw5g.jpg

2z4cy6g.jpg

2vn14km.jpg

2sb4m15.jpg

I took a universal dock, cut off the lower legs that stuck out. I unscrewed the back, than took off the two side squeezing arms. Than, I took an old (firm) belt that I don't wear anymore, cut it shorter (5" or 6" long), drilled a couple holes in the belt and the back of the dock...added small nuts and bolts thru the belt and the back of the dock. Screwed it all back together and Shazam!

BTW, I cut off the lower flap of my Otterbox Defender case, the one that covered the charging port. I found it a pain every time I went to charge it or hook it up to my PC. Much better now, I my opinion.

Reactions: shmn
Upvote 0
Nice solution. But with the clip holding onto the belt, there is slack there...doesn't the phone bounce/rattle around when you hit a bump? I wouldn't think Corvettes have very soft rides.

Thanks...and you are right about Corvette rides being a little hard/tight. Makes it the perfect test case though.

I used a belt that was thick/firm/hard and it doesn't bounce/wiggle much at all. And it got even firmer when I bent it in an oval and screwed it in. If you look at my 4th pic (from the side), you will see there is not much bend in the belt leather.

It sort of matches my interior now too.

Reactions: shmn
Upvote 0
I bought the iBolt xProDock from Amazon and received it yesterday. It works ok and will hold the s4 securely in place with the defender case on the phone. Overall I think it's a good dock with a few quirks but does work well.

Pros:
  • Works with Otterbox Defender
  • Holds the phone securely in place
  • Comes with extra long USB/Mini plug cable that is in two parts. Long USB/mini plug, and short adapter extension cable
  • Cable is removable
  • Cable (or short connector) puts phone in to dock mode on phone
  • Extra long cable allows for routing cable through car and out of site

Cons:
  • Clip covers volume controls. Not an issue if you control volume through bluetooth
  • Cable connection to the phone is very stiff and puts strain on phone connector

Overall I like the dock and it is filling a need for me. I'm on the lookout for a Samsung car charger that will put the phone in dock mode so that I can remove the small adapter cable from the equation.

Let me know if you have questions. If there is enough interest, I can do a small review and include pictures...

Upvote 0
Hey guys, check out Slip Grips: slipgripcarmounts.com (wasn't allowed to post the link here cuz I'm a newbie?) They make high quality holders for a lot of cell phones. I had one for a HTC One S with a Defender case that attached to a 17 mm ball mount. I just got the Galaxy S4 and bought a Defender Case for it as well. I ordered a new Slip Grip for it and it's here. they work great because each one is custom made for the phone/case. they are made like Kydex Pistol Holsters. The kydex sheet is cut out in a pattern, heated and then molded around the object for a perfect fit. Anyways, I've had great luck with them.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones