• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Document App that saves/loads non-proprietary format to/from MicroSD card?

Blue Moon

Dec 31, 2014
Lately I've had a big need to write documents on my phone through dictation and save/load them to my MicroSD card in a file format that Apache OpenOffice Writer can read at a later time on my PC at home, either through card reader or data cable.

Here's the wiki link for file formats supported by OpenOffice Writer:
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/OOo3_User_Guides/Getting_Started/File_formats

Please, does anyone know of an android document app that can do this?

Being able to ad an image to a document in my phone would be a bonus, similar to Evernote but not in a proprietary format.

Google Docs is frustrating me. I can't figure out how to save a document with the name I want in the location I want. In a document editor I usually just go File > Save, name it, press enter and done, and it saves the document as I work on it as a temporary file until I manually save it so I can't loose my work. I started a test document and it put it on google drive without even asking me. I don't want it to do that. I only want it to save in the location I choose. If I want to put it on google drive, I'd rather have the option to tell it to do that. Anyone familiar with this app? I seem to be having difficulty figuring it out.

Upvote 0
I like Google docs and sheets for a lot if reasons. Mostly ease of use anywhere (having them on the cloud is good). But if I have to reply specifically on the aspects you mentioned, responses are mostly negative.

Google docs is proprietary, not an open file format. Reference here:
http://webapps.stackexchange.com/qu...at-or-coding-standard-is-a-google-document-in

Google docs does want you to save your files on drive..

You can use "keep on device" feature which will allow you to edit it offline, but good luck finding where it's stored with your file explorer (you can easily find it in gdocs).

You can share and export to other locations but only in other file formats (like word). And you ll have to put it back into drive (out maybe gmail attachment) before you can open that version again in docs. (gdocs opens files from google drive).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones