• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Dodge 5.0 with straight talk?

I'm on Verizon and have yet to be presented with the message to upgrade to 5.0 and do NOT want to mess with Straight Talk.

I turned OFF config.updater and Samsung.update

I am still on 4.4.4 and hope to stay that way.
This is how I think I have stalled it off.

In Settings/...../ALL
I turned OFF both:
config.updater
Samsung.updater

I set AutoUpdates to OFF
I set Updates via WiFi only.

Now, IF the update question appears on your phone, do NOT answer it, Power OFF the Phone immediately.

then follow this script:
* Lollipop Update delay by clearing cache 3 times

I personally am not using WiFi anymore, so far this has not caused me to use more than about 0.6 gB of data in any 30 day cycle. I do not view videos on the phone period, I do not play games period.

I do read a lot of news stories, and do technical research, and a lot of Google searches.... a lot of pictures come along for the ride, but if you stay away from Videos, your data plan will not be hit hard.

Nova Prime, Textra, Blue Mail, Qi wireless equipped
MacroDroid can help extend battery life
MacroDroid senses Screen off, turns Wifi & Data OFF
MacroDroid senses Screen UnLock, turns Data ON

Upvote 0
I turned both of those off after my last switch to 4.4.4 too. I thought I was in the clear until I checked my phone one night and the update icon was in the top corner, it had downloaded and was asking me to install it. I use data pretty hard so WiFi is a budgetary requirement. I guess when it shows back up, if I don't ditch Verizon before then, I'll try the immediate power off, cache clearing thing. I just can't believe I can't root this phone and keep 5.0 from ruining it, dangit.

Upvote 0
In addition to what I mentioned up above, I use MacroDroid to always turn DATA and WiFi OFF when the screen is locked.

that way, I minimize the chances of something crawling under the woodwork while I am asleep.

I turn the DATA on manually, IF and WHEN there is a need for it.
Most of my needs are solved with SMS and GPS. I have CoPilot GPS installed so it never needs to use DATA... I don't like WAZE because it chews up BATTERY and DATA...

For the most part, I only need data to read newspapers, use the RADAR map for needing to know where the rain is so that me and my GL1800 avoid wet highways.... something that did not happen Saturday, my friends and I got caught and rode 3 hours thru a rain storm. Wx boys missed their calling Saturday. We were supposed to have sunshine. So I pulled up RADAR and we rode out of it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones